cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

QuitMeNow

Another attempt AGAIN

I'm so sick of restarting my quit date. I know I can do it. Longest I've gone is ten days so if I can do it for that long I'm sure I can beat this. 

Problem is that if I'm not home and visiting with my eldest son (he detests cigarettes) I can stay smoke free with some help with nicotine lozenges. Funny thing is my daughter says that's because I'm scared of him. LOL 

I can also be out and about with people and not smoke. Not easy to do on regular basis as I really don't have active friends where I live. 

The roadblock is when I'm home I'll go out back and take a few puffs of and on all thru the day. It's something about being home, maybe just habit I don't know.

So I'm restarting again in two days if it doesn't work I'm asking for chantix because Wellbutrin didn't work at all

Labels (2)
10 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @QuitMeNow you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE, please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed when your quit date arrives in a couple of days keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to turn your DAY ONE INTO DAY WON with many more to come, stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can.....

Barbscloud

Welcome @QuitMeNow   Your story sounds the same.  I've attempted to quit at least s 7 times unsuccessfully.   The longest I ever went was about a month.  What made the difference this time were several things.  I used two aids, attended a cessation class and found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I learned about nicotine addiction, about having a plan, identifying tools to use and creating new associations instead of smoking.   I had no idea what I was doing in the past.  I'd pick a date and an aid and thought I would quit smoking.   I didn't do the work, so I failed every time.

After 50 years of smoking I'm smoke free over 3 years.  So it can be done.  Prepare for you quit and use this site for support.  We're here for you.

Barb

tricoastal96

What helps me staying smokefree is that I do Not want to restart this quitting crap all over again from the beginning. It's a lot of hard work. I've been splurging on expensive sparkling water & soda, & tons of Dollar Store  gum...as soon as a piece of gum gets old, I pop another piece. 

0 Kudos
Maki

My box says I'm replying to you Barbscloud , but responding to the post l was wondering how you are doing this morning @QuitMeNow ? I believe today is your day one? Don't forget we are here for you . Here to listen , help , be of support , however we can help , just ask anytime . 

0 Kudos
QuitMeNow

Hello @Maki I had to reset quit date. Thought it would be best to not have it so close. Trying again next week. Thanks for thinking of me

0 Kudos
Maki

Not sure what you mean "so close" . 

Here are my thoughts . 

Put distance between your quit . Start it now or put it off . The time you've your procrastinated because of fear or doubt however , tells addiction it can still control you with fear and doubt , right ? 

Start trusting your ability even if it's just a hair of confidence you have . Every day won will build on that confidence .

It won't take long for things to get easier . Give yourself credit for trying and now lets do . You can hang in there three months right ? Small goals  will add up to big ones all by themselves if you take one day at a time . .Once you get a taste of freedom I promise you will want more . 

Addiction will continue to win if you give in or procrastinate , time and time again .

You will continue to post " starting again " again and again if you don't take control . You won't fall apart any worse than the rest of us did . We know how messy it can feel and be. 

Take your power back . Time to break the cycle . You can do this .  I know because  I felt so helpless , hopeless and unable to quit as well . I felt scared and I procrastinated for years until it was almost too late . Really any procrastination is too late ? 

No better time to quit than in the midst of struggle . No better time to quit than right now whatever the situation is . 

I'm sorry if you are scared or stress has overwhelmed you or whatever reason you are putting it off . Retrain your thinking . Are you responding to addictions needs because of the anxiety it's causing ? Don't want the anxiety anymore ?..... quit. 

We are here to support you . I will for sure . We know it's hard . I won't ever forget that no matter how much distance is between my quit and day one . 

Whenever you choose to quit but I hope you'll consider sooner . Everything in quitting is about choice, your choice. Start there . 

See you next week  or sooner . Walking with you . 

0 Kudos
QuitMeNow

By close I meant I didn't last but couple of days from last quit so I didn't want to make a new quit date to be the next day or two although I would try to begin then. I placed it a week out to prepare mentally

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi @QuitMeNow and Welcome to Ex’s…

You sound like so many of us when we first tried to quit smoking.  I came to Ex’s and I decided to work through the program.  I read at https://www.becomeanex.org/my-ex-plan/ there I set my quit date for two weeks out.  I planned my quit according to what would work for me.  Also, I planned for my quit day like no other.  First, I started smoking less and less cigarettes.  I decided what to do in place of smoking, I prayed, I walked, I did a jigsaw puzzle, I started a knit project, I drank lot of water, etc., I came daily to Ex’s and read posts and encouraged other and or asked for help.  You can do this, it takes hard work, but is doable.  We are here to help… ~ Colleen 996 DOF 

Another good thing is Breathing exercises.

pastedImage_2.gif

Barbscloud

@QuitMeNow   How are you?  I hope your still working on your quit.  You can do this.

Barb

0 Kudos