cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

pat3

Another Failed attempt

Oh Lord! I just can't get it right. I do good at work, and then I fail at home, or I do good at home and fail at work. It is really embarrassing to have to tell everyone here that I failed again. I have read the allen carr book numerous times, have gone to the whyquit.com sight. In the past I have tried the patch, gum, chantix, zoloft, hypnosis, acupucture, cold turkey, cutting down gradually. What is wrong with me? Am I just kidding myself that I want to quit? Should I just give up quitting for now and read all that I can and try again in another week?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
libby

Hey Pat, don't beat yourself up so much. I give you alot of credit for coming on here and admitting you failed. I think it means that you do really want to quit or you wouldn't be seeking help. You sound like me, I too tried everything and gimmick out there. The one time that I quit for 4 years after smoking for 30+ was with Alan Carr's book and my sister quit at the same time so I had alot of support. Then, I stupidly thought I could smoke a cigarette after 4 years and not get hooked. WRONG!! I smoked for the next 12 years or so. This time I quit w/Chantix, my 3rd try w/Chantix. The first time I lasted 7 months and then smoked. Now I have just about 6 months quit. I have been thru so much hell lately w/my drug addict son and haven't smoked, I should be able to make it this time. Just keep trying, you'll get it right one of these days. Go easy on yourself, this is the hardest thing I've ever done.
0 Kudos
lois2

you are not ready. i have relapse i am going to try again. i ask my self am i ready/ yes i am . good luck Pat
0 Kudos
lainie

Don't ever give up, Pat.You slipped, but it was just a slip. Get back into quit mode . You are stronger than the craving!
0 Kudos

Hey Pat! Kudos to you for keeping on trying. I can't even pick a quit date!! You are encouraging me though. It's all I think about.
0 Kudos
lana3

Don't be so hard on yourself. This is a powerful addiction. I smoked for over 40 years. In the past I tried hypnosis, Quit Classes at a fitness center then Quit Classes at a hospital. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on all that. I tried patches, gum, cold turkey, Zyban and whatever else came along. This time I used the patches maybe a little longer than the box said, but I have about 9 months smoke free. There is nothing wrong with you, you just have to find what works for you. This is not an easy thing or we all wouldn't be here. I still need help!!!!

Hey Pat, how's it going? 3 more days to my quit date. I feel strong when I think about it but am afraid when that little voice starts nagging me. I think it is the little kid in us telling us we don't have to do anything we don't want to. I need to make that voice grow up and tell me NO NO NO!!! I am going to do it this time.
0 Kudos
Leenie

You know, I have read that the average number of attempts to quit smoking is 6 - 7. That's 6 or 7 tries before it sticks. I am on my 5th or 6th ( a year once, a few days another time, 9 months the last time and so on) and now it feels right. Each time you try and later revert to smoking, you learn something new about yourself and your quit. It certainly sounds as though you want to quit very much. You'll get it.

When you are ready to try again, people will be here for you.

Good Luck!
Leenie
0 Kudos

Hi Pat. Don't be so hard on yourself--that just creates more stress--and that makes you want to smoke! You do want to quit or you wouldn't be here. I've smoked for 25 years & this is my 2nd time to quit. I hear all the stuff about how many times it takes before it "sticks" & I say--NO WAY!! I am determined to make this my 2nd & last time to quit. Everyone is right--this is a powerful addiction--physically, mentally and emotionally. It is a minute to minute battle that we all have a hard time fighting. It we fall down, we have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and try-try again. There are things in general that apply to all of us, but I think everyone has to find their own personal motivation & determination. My oldest son told me I was just "stubborn" enough to do this 🙂 so quess what--I'm going to put that to good use to help me stay quit!! Good luck, hang in there, be kind to yourself & keep coming back here for support. You can do this!!
0 Kudos
lillian

Hello Pat

I know this was posted last month. I just found this sight a few days ago. You are not a quitter until you stop
trying. I have tried cold turkey, classes, chantix,, the patch twice, I am on the 7th day now with the patch.
And I am feeling like a empty feeling. I have heard we have to go through a greeving process, like loosing a friend,
but knowing this is the enemy. Don't give up, it is known smokers try a few times before they really quit for good
0 Kudos