cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mcallanan9

Angry all the time, wish it would stop

I seem to have no patience.  I’ve smoked for 46 years.  At times I smoked a lot less but in the past 6 months I’ve increased to over a pack a day.   I already have COPD and that didn’t stop me.  I just found out I have bone loss in my jaw and have to quit to her a bone graft.  Have been trying for the past week and a half but keep relapsing,  

i so angry all the time, then get riled up and want to smoke.   Wish I could separate from this self destructiveness.  Any words of wisdom?

14 Replies
indingrl

Awe you are so very welcome

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten great advice from others above me.  I smoked for 47 years and I have COPD too, I also have partial dentures upper and lower because my teeth literally fell apart.  I honestly did not realize how bad smoking was for our teeth.  I had both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed in 2015, I had been quit for a year and ten months, the surgeon said she would not consider doing the surgery on anyone who had not been quit for at least a year.  She also told me that the surgery would not cure me but would hopefully improve the quality of my life.  I am short of breath with minimal exertion, I am on oxygen at night.  I would not wish this on anyone.  I do everything I can to take care of myself to slow the progress of the COPD, I exercise, I eat a healthy diet, and I avoid inhaling things that make it harder to breathe.  It's not easy at first but I promise you that it will get easier.  I have not smoked in over 5 1/2 years and I am grateful every single day for that freedom.

Ellen

maryfreecig

You don't want to stop because you are addicted. Deciding to quit and quitting are the beginning of breaking the addiction. Like most of us, you probably could benefit from support, from quitters who have been where you are--got through it. Many of us didn't want to believe that our smoking was an addiction. We just felt like we didn't have the right attitude, didn't want to enough, just love smoking too much. It's addiction. That's where support comes into the picture--alone in your head, you'll likely revert to your addict thinking. I hope you realize that Ex will be here to support you 365.  Breaking this addiction is not easy, but it is so doable and it does not take forever--especially if you accept and use support.

I hope you respond back with an update as to your situation. 

JACKIE1-25-15

How are you doing? Please let us know how we can help you on this journey.  Never give up. Education is the key to a successful quit. https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2013/08/11/foundation-for-a-successful-qui...

0 Kudos
Barbara145

It is an emotional roller coaster to quit smoking.  We stuffed our feelings by smoking. Part of the difficulty of quitting is to learn how to feel.  Be gentle and loving with yourself.  You can do this.