cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Akeithmsr

Am I withdrawing or dying??

Help!!! I quit smoking about 60 days ago. Right around that time I started getting awful night sweats!! I have read that night sweats are a withdrawal symptom, but since I'm using a 21mg/day patch I shouldn't be having any withdrawals right?! I hope someone can help me with this!! It's really worrying me and It's happening every night!  I remove my patch at night but the other night I tried leaving it on to see if that would help but I still woke up drenched in sweat.  

I have a dr.'s appointment this week and will have him do some blood work. Other then the night sweats I feel great! Patches have helped immensely with the cravings. I have a dr.'s appointment this week and will have him do some blood work. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd really appreciate it! Thank You!! 

17 Replies
Roller831

I didn't use the patch but am glad you are getting this checked out.  I did use Chantix and night sweats were a side effect.  I ended up stopping Chantix after about 3 weeks because the side effects for me were awful.

To paraphrase Alan Carr (check out his book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking"), no one has ever died from quitting smoking or from the side effects of quitting; but smoking will most certainly kill you.

Deb-EX

I'm reading Allen's book now, almost done! Loved it.

Jennifer-Quit

I used the patch but had no night sweats - The recommended way to use the patch if you are a pack a day smoker is:

21 mg - 2-4 weeks

14 mg - 2 weeks

7 mg - 2 weeks

Perhaps it is time to step down to the 14 mg.?  

maryfreecig

Welcome and congratulations on your quit.

Looks like the Doc will have to guide you. Hang in there. 

freeneasy

You should probably step down to the 14mg patch. I think the recommended time for the 21mg is 8 weeks. Congrats on 60 days!

0 Kudos
bonniebee

First Congratulations for quitting smoking and for your successful 60 days !!! Welcome to Ex !

Night Sweats are often a side affect to medications even supplements did you begin taking anything new ?

You are well overdue for a step down to 14mg. don' t be afraid just do it ! You want too begin weaning off .

stay strong N.O .P.E = not one puff ever ! 

Please begin with your Doctor. Have you read the fine print pamphlets that come with your patches? 

Here is something I found from Micoderm:

Night Sweats/Dreams = Nicoderm CQ (STEP2) - Nicotine Patch - Quit Smoking Message Board 

I would think about alternative NRTs or as mentioned above - how would you feel about getting off NRT? 

Medications are very complicated and they have effects on each other. Without knowing all of the other medications you are using there would be no way to even guess what's going on. 

That's why you need to consult your Doctor!

Anya

Hi Akeithmsr

I've been struggling with a reoccurance of night sweats and I think it's related to all the changes in my body from smoking, quiting, short relapse then quit again. This article was very interesting:  Cigarettes Can Sabotage Hormone Balance - Women in Balance Institute 

It might not be the patch necessarily, but your body working to readjust  everything in your quit (hormones, neurotransmitters, blood sugar level,etc) .  I find that the more stressed I get (with increases in cortisol) the more night sweats. I've been taking magnesium and 5HTP in the evenings to ensure sleeping through the night! If I keep the patch on at night, my sleep is lighter, so I remove the patch before bed. A lot of people have changes in sleep patterns after quitting, with or without the patch. I also have read that smoking can trigger premenopausal / menopausal symptoms. And any symptoms might choose to show up after you quit:(

Hang in there and let us know what you find out,

Anya