cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

airmanbiker

Almost sliped

Today, I have been a non-smoker for fourty five days.  This morning I woke up with the strongest cravings for a cigarette.  I told my wife about it and she reminded me that I have come a long way as a non-smoker.  My flustration was so powerfull I used emotion when I would talk to my wife.  She finally told me that she wasn't going to give me premission to smoke.  I battled the craving for over a half of an hour when it began to fade.  I never knew how strong a craving could be until today, but I can say I got through it and I am proud of the fight I put up to not light up. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cathi4

I have had moments like this. What I got from the experience is that there really are no random craves but craves that are actually attached to some action or behavior. If you try to reason them out and decide why it came around then it will feel so less random when it arises again. The addiction is what we are left with when all the nicotine is gone. Handling that takes a little more insight and patience but it can be done. See like a game if you can find the trigger. A stress? Sex? An emotion or dream even can trigger it. Anyway, it is nice for them to be so few and far between that they seem random!

Congrats on your quit! I am so proud of you and I bet the wife is over the moon!

0 Kudos
susan98

I quit 2 1/2 months ago,yesterday first really random craving, hard day at work, I actually began to form a plan in my mind had to really examine how this could possibly be beneficial.  But yay!  did get through it, hang in there!

0 Kudos
gmnikolai

Wow!. Today is day 45 for me, too. But in a way, it's been easy. Broke my leg and spent a week in the hospital. That's when I quit. Decided to keep it up at home, threw away cigs. If I wanted one, too bad. Can't get out of the house to get any. That ends next week when I graduate to a walking book and, Ihope, ability to drive. Feelilng better, cravings less frequent but worried -- what will happen when I have mobility and free will? I welcome all the support I can get.

0 Kudos