cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

skye3

Advice Please!

I'm having a very hard time with not smoking. I cut down to 4 a day and now I am finding that I can't fit into any of my clothes. I'm freaking out. All I can think about is my family being overweight all my life and me being the little tiny person. Everyone in my family quit smoking except me for that reason ( I can't afford to gain weight at this time in my life) I will never get it off. Just like the rest of my family.
So do I die from smoking or obesity? I have been eating healthier than ever though I only eat once a day I'm just not hungry, so I don't know what is going on, I have gained 8 lbs in 1 week! I don't know if I will be able to deal with this. Are others gaining weight? Pretty soon I'm going to have to go across the street to pick up the parts of my thighs that have been spreading over there. Depression, sadness, crying , weight gain. I can deal with the first 3 but the weight gain just can't happen. I really need some help or advice on what to do here.
Skye
0 Kudos
8 Replies
colonel-klink

hi skye:

i know exactly what you mean. i've gotten down to no more than 3 cigs. a day. and i am really proud of that accomplishment (this is not the first time this year that i have attempted to stop). the first attempt i gain 30 pounds. i went from a fine size 9 to a 16. my ego was crushed and my closet (well that's a whole 'nother story). this time i am taking chantix (to help with the physical need of smoking) and wellbutrin. the wellbutrin no only helps with the cravings but also suppresses my appetite. i also drink more water, do a little "tread mill" and am beginning to take tai-chi. but if you're like me that exercise thing ain't me. but i have dropped one whole dress size this month and i really believe it has to do with the wellbutrin. don't get discouraged. hang in there. you know not all of us are supposed to be a size zero. do like i did create your own image of beauty. evry time you walk by the mirror remind yourself..."that for the TIME BEING there is just a little more of me for GOD to love."

you didn't state your age, but if you're not a "spring chicken" (30 and under); weight gain is part of the natural course of events. our metabolism changes with age, harmonal imbalances, stress from not smoking, etc. before you freak totally out, go to your doctor and get a thorough check up (harmone, thyroid, etc). then once you have eliminated genetics, the two of you can come up with a sensible course of action. good luck and hang in there.
0 Kudos
sue7

Try muching on carrot and cerlery sticks and fruit slices through the day. That eating one time a day thing is really bad for your metabolism.Your body is storing every calorie because it thinks it's in starve mode. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. Small amounts of food throughout the day will change that. Hugs.Don't give up.
0 Kudos

Please go online and check out the Cabbage Soup diet. I tried this back in Nov. and it really does work. It really does help take away all the sweet cravings. You can add any veggie that you like. I think the main ingredient is the V-8. I don't like the smell or taste of green cabbage so I substituted red cabbage. I found that if you cut a small head into quarters and chop up i/4 into small pieces itis easy to digest. I was a size 14! I went back to a size 8 in 4 weeks.
0 Kudos
hothula

aloha skye, try to tackle one thing at a time. sounds like you will not allow yourself to gain too much weight with your quit. some weight gain I think will happen, but then you will even out again. just try to continue to eat healthy and extend your walks and things will help. but part of why you are having a hard time is that you are still smoking. having four a day is enough to keep you addicted and in a state of detox. which is terrible for your spirit. if you think you need a bit of nicotine to get you past the hard part try some nic gum. but put the smokes down. every bit you smoke must be detoxed out. take a walk or go to a movie just don't smoke. you can do it and you will be ok in the weight dept too
0 Kudos
dreamkeeper

Its a normal part of quitting to gain weight, usually about 10 pounds. Thats what I have gained and I've been quit for 109 days now. It feels so much better not smoking that the weight gain is minor. I plan now to work on my weight by increasing activity and changing eating pattern. I joined an online weight loss community called Sparkpeople that has fantastic program and support groups. And its free! See my Spark People page there
0 Kudos
andrew-colver

I want to provide you with a couple of analogies to help paint a picture of this problem from a diferent angle.
With smoking, the problem we have is that we are doing this many times a day. I am convinced that our body wants to desparately adapt to this change in order for us to feel less "empty" inside like something is missing.
Think about how many cigarettes you used to smoke per day on a regular basis. Now think about how may puffs it takes to smoke just "ONE" cigarette. Having trouble thinking about that number? dont because I have asked many people this same very question, and they have trouble thinking of a number too. the point is, we do this without even thinking about it. Lets just say it takes 10 puffs to smoke a cig. Multiply that by a pack a day, thats 200 times a day we bring something from our hand to our mouth. Here's the analogy: what else do you do 200 times a day???

Maybe we blink our eyes, or take a breathe 200 times a day. but we do not think about everytime we take a breathe or blink an eye do we? We can certainly control a breathe and we can force ourselves to blink on command, but we do these things without even thinking about it. With that logic it may be safe to assume that we smoke without even thinking about it. EXCEPT when we dont have it anymore. Our body wants to desparately replace this habit (ADAPT) and unfortunately what is the easiest, quickest way to replace this hand to mouth habit? FOOD. Just because you quit does not mean you have to go to food. If it is okay, I would like to give you a couple of ideas and I hope they help you. If you need more suggestions please let me know:
Stress ball - keeps those hands busy without totally giving into the hand and mouth
Water bottle - safely (calorie free) replace that hand to mouth habit.
Worry stone - another version of a stress ball, but you can rub this between your fingers,
Word puzzle - keep your hands and your brain distracted (knitting, reading works as well).

Keep trying, you will find a way to beat this, dont give up!
0 Kudos
manofsteele

if you continue making all the excuses cigarette addicts make (I am one and also used to make up excuses) you can lose the weight in chemo treatments. I heard you really don't eat much

I gained weight I lost weight I am now in control of my cigarette addiction because I do not make any more excuses

Think about what you want not what you think could negatively happen. You are the controller of your attitude. There is no reason to be depressed, sad or worried unless you put yourself through it. You can have a positive outlook and be proud of yourself everyday just as easy. It is up to you.
0 Kudos
linda20

ARE YOU ABLE TO JOIN A GYM? YMCA OR ONE OF THE FRANCHISES? SOME OF THE CABLE CHANNELS HAVE EXCERCISE ON DEMAND. THAT WOULD BE A DISTRACTION AS WELL AS KEEP YOUR WEIGHT DOWN.

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BUT YOU HAVE TO QUIT. THINK OF A CIGARETTE AS WHITE PAPER AROUND TOBACCO THAT WAS HARVESTED WITH BUGS AND DIRT AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF CHEMICALS THROWN IN WITH AND WE SMOKE IT INTO OUR LUNGS. THE ONLY LUNGS WE WILL EVER HAVE!

THERE ARE LOTS OF MIND GAMES WITH QUITTING. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THEM UP FOR YOUR SELF. WHEN I HAD A CRAVING, I WOULD PICTURE ME BEATING UP THE CRAVING WITH KUNG FOO MANEUVERS. SILLY? YES BUT IT WORKED FOR ME.

HANG IN THERE AND ASK FOR HELP. WE ARE HERE TO HELP.
0 Kudos