cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Chamomile

A true desire to quit forever

I'm due to have a major bowel operation on the 9th of January. Over the last month I have managed to cut down and on some days have completely stopped smoking, only to start smoking again when feeling very stressed. So here goes, quit day is Friday, feeling much better prepared and determined to be a non smoker on the operating table. I am filled with anxiety about the operation, but also filled with hope that all will be a success.

12 Replies
TW517

Congrats on your decision to quit!  I know some others here who quit during or just before a hospital stay.  I think it is a great idea.  I was so angry with myself for starting right back up after a 3 and 4 day hospital stay.  I had such a great head start, and then ruined it.  Don't you do that!  Read as much as you can here before you go in, and be prepared  with your tool kit for when you are released.

Chamomile

Thanks good advice. I was in hospital in 2016 for 17 days after an emergency operation and did not smoke, but started again soon after. This time I am much better prepared to succeed. 

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex and congratulation on your efforts to make your quit work. Since stress is a real buster for you load up on ideas as to how to face that stress without a cig. Mantras (like saying I don't do that anymore), gimmicks (like chew on a cut straw), tried and true techniques (like take a walk, take a deep breath--pause and think to stop)--these are all good for getting past the urge to smoke. Days of smobriety add up and before you know it you feel good about not smoking.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your operation. Keep coming back to Ex, keep learning, reading and blogging. Yes you can quit, one day at a time.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Quitting smoking is the BEST thing you can do to ensure a successful outcome to your surgery! I recently wrote a blog and asked for input from our members that I think you might find helpful: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17060-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-too.

Read, read and read some more!  Follow all the good advice.  Ask questions as you have them.

We are here for you!

Nancy

Chamomile

Thank you for your welcome.

indingrl

Great job and most excellent decision keep blogging and your are recovering already keep on keeping on Please remember you are not alone and I am very honored and proud you are choosing to love you first!  Thanks for helpingme stay quit with you no matter what not one puff in Jesus name amen please take what helps and let go of rest to be helpful is my only aim and together is wonderful! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Education is the key to a successful quit.  Read Study Blog Research Ask questions be active.  Hoping the very best for your surgery. 

Chamomile

I certainly have been doing alot of research to try to understand why I keep going back to smoking cigarettes.  A community support group like this is very helpful and thank you so much for replying.

elvan

Education is essential and you will heal so much faster and more completely as a nonsmoker.  Smoking does not help with stress, it CAUSES it.  Education, commitment, and support will be your keys to a forever quit.  You CAN do this.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen