cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tryingmybest

A couple of questions I should know the answers to

I say I should know the answers because I know I've heard them before, but not being interested in quitting I guess I didn't really listen.

I joined the program in Friday 7/l8 and by the next day I was down from a pack + a day to 8 cigarettes - and I really wasn't having much trouble with it.

By Day 5, without any specific goal in mind I didn't have any cigarettes all day.......oh, wait - there was one long butt I found in an ashtray. Gross!

Strangely, I don't seem to be having any major withdrawal symptoms except for an occasional headache, but I do feel them growing. I am doing all I can to stop thinking about smoking and associating cigarettes with my triggers but I guess it doesn't take much to remind you when you are trying to quit.

My biggest questions at this point are: Generally, how long does it take to get over the physical dependence? And probably the biggest and hardest question - since I realize it depends on the person - how long before I can even hope to stop wanting a cigarette.......the psychological addiction?

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
12 Replies
cindy25

For me, the mental quit was hard. You are right, every person is VERY different in how they "experience" that first week or two. I have been on this sight for over two months and I can tell you- I have read it ALL!!!! LOL
So, for ME...the "wanting" a cigarette has never really "gone away" in the two months. Don't get discouraged with that statement because the "wanting" CHANGES. It doesn't have the urgency it once did, it is more like a "thought"- and there are days I don't even think about smoking or not smoking. For example, this morning- I got up, showered, drank some coffee, dressed, etc.... I didn't even THINK about smoking. NOT ONCE! Two months ago - I would have KILLED someone if they got in the way of my smokes and coffee routine in the morning!!!! Seriously. I could not have IMAGINED not even thinking of smoking all morning! But last evening, when I got home from work, I thought " "wow, I really want a cigarette right now" - then I said NOPE and moved on to cooking dinner. Then quickly "forgot" about it. I would expect that in a few more months- I will not be thinking much - or at all -about smoking or not! It seems to be incremental and there is no "one moment" when you no longer think about it. I hope that makes sense! Each day you refuse to smoke brings you closer to those moments where you "forget" about the struggle. Those moments become hours, hours become days, etc. Hope that helps! You sound like you are doing FANTASTIC!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
angel6

First let me tell you that I am only 2 1/2 weeks into my quit. This is how I'm feeling now.....

For me the psychological part is the hardest. I still want a smoke at night time, the urge is not as strong though. It is manageable and I can easily tell myself why I quit and then forget about it. I do still have a couple of strong urges during the week, but those usually only occur when I am socializing. I still have the urge to munch alot. Thank god for ice chips! I have maintained my weight so far ...woo hoo!

I quit cold turkey, and I think the craves are a little harder for me than for NRT users....USE Whatever it takes to stay quit! Sometimes I wish I had!!!

Don't worry... It really is getting easier by the day.

Make sure you have a positive attitude! It really helps!

Good luck !
0 Kudos
polly2

The mental addiction that we have is deeply embedded within us. It's so important not to let our thoughts go haywire and continuously think about cigarettes. Connie helped me in the very beginning by showing me how to change my thoughts. Cravings are a good thing. It means that your body is healing and releasing toxins. Telling myself over and over that "Smoking is not an option," leaves me no room for rationalizations, justifications or exuses. I still have cravings here and there, but I accept them as a part of my healing. I smoked for 39 years, minus a few quits. I'm on day 34. If I look at the comparison of 34 days vs. 39 years, it is not much time at all. I've come to the point where I don't think about cigarettes anymore, despite the cravings. I think it is because I continually pump those positive thoughts in my head. Also, instead of saying that you are trying to quit, you might want to say you are a non-smoker. Trying is not the same as doing...It leaves you an out. The best thing you can do is to stay busy, keep posting and reading here and at whyquit.com. You can start helping people here on your very first day! That strengthens your own resolve to remain an EX and it also brings great joy, knowing that you may be helping someone to save their life! I hope this helps...I'm glad you have stopped and hope you will continue the journey -- take it slow, one day at a time!! The more you get involved here, the better off you will be! There is a huge amount of support here -- we all help one another! Keep on keeping on and congratulations for stomping out the butt!!
0 Kudos
robin18

Hello,
First of all you are doing great. I have been smoke free for 62 days and the physical only took about 3 days but then again I am using Wellbutrin and the gum. I had no idea how strongly my mind was addicted. That has been the hardest part for me and I still struggle. But do not let that scare you. It is not near as hard now as it was even 2 weeks ago. I have good days and bad days. Yesterday was a bad day, but today seems like it is going to be a good day. I read Cindys post and everything she said is so true. I was a morning coffee drinker and smoker also and I did and still do miss that, but not as much as I did 2 weeks ago. I wake up now and most mornings I do not even think about having a cig, and believe me I never thought I would think that way but I do. So just keep doing what you are doing and understand that it does get better. Really reach out to all the people on this website that have long quits behind them ask them how they have stayed quit. What they have been doing has worked. I use everything that everyone says to get me through each and everyday. Good luck and we are all here for you.

Robin
0 Kudos
tryingmybest

Thank you all........and none of you surprised me. I quit cold turkey and today is the end of my 3rd day smoke free. I don't know why I didn't set a quit day. I guess the time just felt right to stop when I did. Unfortunately my thinking was just a little screwed up..........I am going in for a colonoscopy Wednesday and have to be on a liquid diet for two days - starting Monday. I have panic disorder and freak out very easily. This is NOT something I can control.......and I am really uncomfortable about the whole colonoscopy thing so it's a mystery to me why on earth I chose now to quit at this precise time but I did and I'm actually doing well. I am NOT going to start again using the test as an excuse. If I do that I'll always be able to find excuses to smoke again.......good excuses.....better......best.

For some wonderfully great reason my physical withdrawal this time was a piece of cake......no problem at all. Last year when I tried to quit I made it 2 days then started going bonkers so I started again. I am having a bit more trouble with the psychological part but I am managing. I find that when the urge hits me the hardest I just have to get really involved in something and it works its way out. It's really hard though. Fortunately I have lots of hobbies and am never at a loss for things to do. Now I even have extra money to spend on fun stuff where before I didn't. I must live on a very strict budget so cigarette money was always the first thing figured into my week's needs. Now I am putting that money aside. I love it!!

I've never defended smoking. I knew it was a terrible addiction for all sorts of reasons but I could never stop. I applaud all of you who have stayed smoke free and wish all of us the best of luck (though it's really not luck) in getting off and staying off the cigarettes.

For now I just have to make it through Wednesday and I'll be okay. The best part so far is that the hacking, choking cough is already starting to get better. I guess smoking for about 52 years isn't the smartest thing I've ever done. Y'think?
0 Kudos
doreen1

Hang in there, TMB. Congratulations on being 3 days smoke free.Photobucket Hell Week is almost over. I also have a panic disorder, so I know exactly how you are feeling. They seem to come out of nowhere and tend to hit hard. The nicodemon loves to play on that part of our addiction - sort of the weakest link kinda thing - and have us "think" that a smoke would cure the attack. You and I both know that is not true, so don't give up. You can do this!!

I got firm with myself and printed this out and put it on my fridge: Photobucket I would look at it everytime I had a crave and repeat it over and over to myself.

As for your colonoscopy, I've had one done and I honestly thought all the prep stuff the day before was worse than the actual procedure. They give you conscious sedation and I honestly don't remember any of it and I had no problems the day after either. You'll do fine. My prayers are with you for things to go smoothly on Wednesday, and that you hang tough with your quit. Holler if you need me 🙂

Photobucket...Photobucket
0 Kudos
cindy25

Okay, here is another colonoscopy story. A man I know at work was going in for his and he hated the thought of it. The nurse was a friend of his and told him that he needed to drink that HUGE container of liquid "medicine" to "clean out" your system first (via the toilet). Of course, she told him he could have clear liquids only- but mentioned that alcohol was considered a clear liquid (as a joke). Well, he mixed vodka in that huge container to drink. He got SO intoxicated that he was unsuccessful at finding the toilet every time he need to! He said it was one of the worst experiences he ever had (and that was BEFORE) the colonoscopy!!!! I told him he should have won a prize for the dumbest patient on the planet.
0 Kudos
meka

Hey Doreen , great advice I had to put something similar on my message board in the kitchen, BTW I think the Dancing kitty is just the cutest
0 Kudos
tryingmybest

I'm so glad you understand about the panic disorder! Yes, mine come out of the blue, too. I can be sitting on the couch enjoying a good book when suddenly it hits.......no reason........just that awful feeling that I know is not a real fear but I am helpless to do anything about it. So you know how, if they can come on that way - for no reason - what a real reason can do. I hope you have found ways to cope with yours.

As far as the colonoscopy, I agree that the prep is the absolute worst part. I had one years ago and it was a piece of cake.........except for that horrible prep. Of course my mind knows I'll make it and I'll be fine but the emotions are another story. I'm working overtime on positive thinking though.

Thanks for the good wishes and your shoulder. I'm sure there will be times that I just can't tough out myself. How long have you been smoke free? Did you find that it made any difference at all in the panic disorder? I'm thinking not but I can always hope.

Again, thanks and good luck to you too.

Deana
0 Kudos