cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jennifer-Quit

A Welcome Home

My brother-in-law had heart valve replacement surgery around May 1 and has been in the hospital/rehab ever since due to complications.  He gets to go home tomorrow on his 72nd birthday.  We are having a welcome home/birthday dinner for him on Sunday.  His favorite desert is pineapple upside down cake - how the hell did I not know that after all these years.  That is what I am to bring to the party - and I have never made one!  Yikes!  Please share your recipes!   I need help!  gregp136‌ I know you have experience!

37 Replies
shashort

LMAO YoungAtHeart that got me luaghing out loud as I visualized you climbing up and down the ladder. 

Glad to hear your brother is coming home. I love pineapple upside down cake too. That sounds yummy now I want some.  Enjoy your weekend with your family and let us know how that cake comes out.

MarilynH

Yes that cake sounds awesome, I'm sure it'll be delicious and I'm really happy that you're brother in law is coming home and I have every size of the cast iron frying pans and a cast iron pancake griddle and that's pretty much all we use, huge hug Jennifer.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

OK - you two ladies MarilynH , and Jennifer-Quit  - how DO you season a brand new cast iron skillet????

MarilynH

If I remember correctly and it's probably been 25 yrs since seasoning one, wash the new Cast iron pan in hot soapy water dry it and put a thin layer of vegetable oil is what I used, I believe and put it in the oven on 350 degrees or so for roughly an hr, is that right Jennifer? because I'm second guessing myself YoungAtHeart you can always go to pinterest too Nancy and when Mark and I bought our cast iron pancake griddle it had instructions for seasoning it, hummmmm 

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

Like Marilyn I have had mine for 25 plus years - except for my cast iron dutch oven that I received as a gift a few years ago. It was pre-seasoned as I think most cast iron is today.  I wash mine with mild soap and warm water (never in the dishwasher) and put on a hot burner to dry.  Occasionally I will rub a little vegetable oil on the warm skillet to refresh the seasoning. 

Daniela2016

Former baker here, but I never made it, just enjoyed it.  Hoping the recipe will work for you, please let us know!

I won a baking contest when I was 10  with a pineapple upside down cake. But it's a secret recipe because I forgot it.

Daniela2016

Could not be more secret than this Dale, or maybe mine could, because I never made it, haha!

Jennifer-Quit

I am still waiting on your secret ingredient guacamole recipe that SkyGirl‌ mentioned.  Or did you forget that one too?

Jennifer-Quit

Well here is my first ever pineapple upside down cake - Many thanks to all who offered recipes and advise. 

IMG_0708.JPG