cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jwtrocks

90 days is a start

finally put them down on Jan11, so grateful I did. Seemed harder to do then when I quit drinking, as the addiction seemed much more physchological this time. So far, so good, still want one, but have to keep smoking off the table as an option.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jwtrocks

Thanks, I agree completely. Been that route myself with drinking, and know the "I'll just have one" will not work for me.
0 Kudos
Roejo

I quit January 30, 2018.  I thought I was doing well, but I had used the nicotine patches and went off them two days ago.  Now I'm doing horribly and ready to call it quits on quitting.  Don't know what to do with myself.  Can't go back on the patches because I started having allergic reactions.  Know what I SHOULD do, but I don't want to.  Just feeling too nasty and sorry for myself.  I have never done this before (talked to a support group OR gone online).  Not only am I unsure of myself, I am computer challenged and don't know what to do next.  So please don't make fun of me if I turn out to do something stupid--I'm too  fragile today!  Don't know whether I want advice or just to complain and vent...

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

You are just about 60 days in your quit.  You don't want to give up now.  You have worked to hard.  Here is some literature that I suggest that you read. You can get busy https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2008/05/03/things-to-do-instead-of-smoking 

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and if there are any areas you need to address.get started. You can continue on your journey  Quitting my be the hardest thing you have attempted but it can be done.  So many of us here have. . This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Start first, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction.  

Education is the key to a successful quit.

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

MichelleDiane

You can do all of them.  It is hard.  I went a little over the 60 days and I also was on the patch.  I had a difficult time once off the lowest dose, but I hoped that all of the skills I had learned for 10 weeks was enough.  The problem when I relapsed had nothing to do with the patch at all.  It had to do with me.  I didn't go to the tools enough.  I started thinking much like you did.  If I had only used my tools and redirected my thoughts, came to this site, called a friend, went for a walk, started reading a book, took a nap, did some meditation, cleaned out a part of my house that was a mess, or done anything other than smoke I would I would be two days away from 90 days of freedom.  Well, I can't beat myself up, but I can keep going on my journey and learning from this.  So I am hoping to give this to you Roejo.  You can do this.  Going back to day 1 is not an option.  Stay the course.  Do what you need to do.  I'm pulling for you.

-Michelle

elvan

Roejo  No one is going to laugh at you...we ALL struggled at the beginnings of our quits whether we used nicotine replacement therapy or not.  We had to do the reading as suggested by JACKIE1-25-15‌ and we absolutely had to accept that this is a journey and that it is going to have good days and bad days and that is really no different from life with or without nicotine.  One day at a time and when a day is too long...make it an hour or a minute or even a second.  No crave ever killed anyone but no one can say that about smoking.  You CAN do this, it is not easy but it is possible and every day that you are smoke free, you are getting stronger and you are growing in ways that you don't even recognize yet.  Education, commitment, support.  Stay close to the site, read everything that has been recommended and keep in mind that at this point in your quit you are in a place we refer to as No Man's Land.  It is a time when people who never smoked think you should be "over it" by now and people who smoke really don't want to hear about it because they are protecting THEIR addictions.  You CAN do this...if it did not get easier, none of us would have been able to stay free.  Please read this blog by JonesCarpeDiem‌ /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months and then read this one by YoungAtHeart‌ For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too)   Remember that this gets easier, it takes time and no one can tell you the exact date when you will feel that it is easier but there will come a time when you realize that you did not even think about smoking for an entire day....or through a particularly stressful event.  Let it happen, it will be the best thing you can possibly do for yourself.  You have already gotten 30 days into No Man's Land...another blog by JonesCarpeDiem‌ https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr... 

Hang in there, it WILL get easier, it is up to you to allow that to happen.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

0 Kudos