cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ecamp20102

9 days in, my second longest quit ev⁰er. ... can i have a no inhale cigar?

I have failed to quit so many times because i thought i could have 1 more joe. I know thats not possible now..... but can i enter a family situation where no inhale cigar is customary and it would be rude not to participate, or should i be real rude and not show up

23 Replies
Mandolinrain

Personally, what everyone said is how I feel as well . 

You came to us and that's great, its what we want you to do. I just want you to re-think something you said , You said:

"I have failed to quit so many times because i thought i could have 1 more joe. I know thats not possible now.."

I's say you answered your own question

Giulia

When in doubt - protect your quit under all circumstances.  Trust your instincts.  They're yelling at you, so pay attention to them.  If there's a question as to whether you should - don't.  Common sense says:  don't put temptation in front of your face.  

JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on 9 days of freedom.  Your quit is the number one priority over any custom.  The best part of quitting is recognizing it is always a choice.  A choice to remain free or a choice to be bound again  You get to decide whether you take the risk to go back to day one.  Isn't freedom amazing? 

DonnaMarie

Without even reading all the comments, I'm gonna say no. Work your quit with all your might. It's so worth it.

Donna

Day 198

Gwenivere

If there is one thing people seem to get is quitting smoking.  Saw a guy buying lozenges yesterday.  Mention it to anyone and they don’t even flinch.  That is why I couldn’t understand why just telling people toecamp20102 that you are quitting would be a problem.

indingrl

Thanks for sharing and that's your decision- ❤

marciem

Just to add to the opinions above... as  gregp136 did mention that nicotine is also absorbed thru the mucosa in your mouth... ask any chewer.  They don't inhale.  I believe that many many, if not all, cigar smokers, do not actually inhale the smoke into their lungs, from just watching them.  I could be wrong, even as a smoker if I saw a cigar I removed myself as much as possible, but just saying.

I think you know the answer.  A puff is as good as a pack, even if just absorbed through the mouth.  Don't kid yourself.  You can't quit and smoke at the same time.  .

"I don't smoke anymore" or "I am in the early stages of quitting smoking" should be sufficient and not rude.

TriGirl

Also gonna say not a good idea. If you were an alcoholic and had to abstain from a toast, no one, certainly not family, would make you do it. I would venture to guess if they care about you, they would make an accommodation (sparkling champagne) so you could participate without feeling badly. 

Make your excuses...or tell it like it is. Sorry, I am trying to quit smoking and this is a slippery situation for me right now. In either case, you've got to learn to set boundaries and advocate for yourself. It's not wrong to put you first. I'd argue it's wrong to put your quit second to someone else's hurt feelings. And how hurt are they really gonna be that you said no? If I offered you coffee or tea and you said no thank you, I believe my feelings would still be in tact. Just sayin...

Sootie

Well---I am the late comer here but I will echo what everyone said......cigars will put nicotine back into your body and awaken those receptors. Just like chew....you don't have to inhale to do damage to your body.

Sorry but I can't see how it is rude to refuse a cigar. If you were a recovering alcoholic, would the people around you think you were rude to refuse a toast with alcohol?

Stay Strong and keep this quit. You will be so glad you did.

Gwenivere

It’s amazing to me that people get alcohol withdrawl even if they never had a problem with it.  I can’t count how many times I was told to quit like it was nothing.  Some from former smokers too.  I really appreciate those that sympathize even if they never smoked.  But it’s the current smokers I scare.  They are always asking how I do it when they hear my experience on this journey.  I guess I would scare me too!