cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

katherineu

73 DAYS SMOKE FREE - HELP ME

Today is the first day I have thought of smoking a cigarette - I have so many dam problems that came up last night, I am literally losing my mind.  I'm having problems with my teenager and found a snap chat account, that we her parents did not approve of, had a friend help me break in the snap chat and was horrified at the conversations going on in that account.

Well I gave my kid enough rope to hang herself and she did, she will never have the opportunity to have a smart phone from us ever again.  

I was almost to the point of going to get cigarettes and I came straight home from the gym and cried because I thought I was coping just fine and getting through all triggers until this crap happened last night.

I'm so depressed with everything right now.

19 Replies
MarilynH

You did great by coming here and protecting your quit, I'm sorry about your struggles with your daughter but you got through it Smoke Free. katherineu

0 Kudos
bonniebee

The teen age years are so darn difficult ! I have 4 grown children now but I remember all to well the trials and tribulations of the teen years !

You have come here to vent and to ask for help that in itself tells me how much value you have in your 75 day quit  ! I think that is the smartest thing for you to do. So often Ex'ers with good quits relapse and then come here to tell about it I am  glad they do but if they had first come here for help they may not be sharing a relapse story  It really will  increase the success of your quit .

In the early days of my quit stress and anger were big triggers for me I came here and blogged about my anger and always felt better afterwards ! I still find anger to be a tough one at times but believe us when we tell you it gets so much easier as time moves along .

I really like what Giulia said above ....How it can become our strength ! I know I sayings quit (2).jpgam very proud of my accomplishment I have 775 days , a miracle to me !  Think of these hard times as tests and when you make it through you can feel great and your confidence will be boosted for the next go round !

Life moves on with ups and downs whether we smoke or not Smoking will not help you find solutions to the teenage problems you would just feel worse for caving in ! so glad you chose to come here ! 

katherineu

Thank you for the positive feedback and congratulations on being smoke free for over 2 years that is very impressive because I know how hard it is in the beginning to quit.

I had to cry over drama with my shady teenager and the conscious decision to not smoke today because I just told myself its not worth it, NOPE.  

In the past when I would quit for a few days or a few weeks I would always make an excuse to smoke and tell myself you can quit another day, it was a jacked up life cycle I had for at least two years.  I would smoke and then quit for a week, two or three and then go back to smoking, the repeat the scenario all over again.  I'm too tired to fight that vicious cycle anymore and you are right its not going to solve my problems and I needed to hear that!

I don't want my kids to ever pick up this habit, I started stealing my moms cigarettes when I was 13 and I have two teen age daughters who have always been repulsed by smoking and have asked me and their father for years if we would quit so we don't die of lung cancer and sent us all the quit smoking CDC Commercials on you tube.

God Bless you for reaching out, I so much have appreciated you and everyone else taking a moment to respond to my pity party post, yall don't know how much it means to me.   <------ y'all means I'm a Texas girl, LOL

freeneasy

Days like these are going to happen. You're smack dab in the middle of NO MAN's Land a dangerous time, which you must know all about by now. You still associate smoking with stress relief which as you probably know already is a misconception. It actually causes more stress... This will pass. Believe it. You'll get through it without smoking and you'll be more confident in your quit because you did. Keep stacking those smoke-free days and you'll be glad you did. When things in life are not going well and seem out of control one thing you have control over and can be proud of is your quit. 

0 Kudos
elvan

CONGRATULATIONS!  So proud of you for protecting your quit!  

0 Kudos
gardenancy8

You must be so so happy you protected your quit though!  And I understand the teenager thing! I have 4 kids myself! Stress is high in this house too! lol    Stay strong and keep going with NOPE

0 Kudos
Lauralives

It is so difficult to have these challenges come up but smoking does not help anything, it just makes it worse.  Cry, scream and keep going to the gym.  YOU ARE AWESOME!  You are hanging in there and that is great.  Protect your quit, protect your child.  Breathe.  We are all here for you.  Laura

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Congratulations on discovering the inappropriate behavior on time, and being able to correct it!  This is a huge accomplishment for a teen's mom.  I remember when I was telling anyone my son was a teenager, the answer was almost always "I am sorry".  But you did well, and did it all while protecting your quit.

So proud of you, keep doing the deep breathing, the NOPE, or any other mantra you are using, things are going to get better, you should be proud of yourself too!

0 Kudos
Christine13

So happy you came here to blog.  Teenagers are hard to deal with - but you stopped her activity on snap chat!

You are a great Mom!  I had a sneaky teen too, and she made life very difficult here for all of us.  Just hang on to your quit, there will be better days ahead.  YOU are in control of your quit and your teen.  Rahhhhh.........for you!!

xo

elvan

katherineu‌ How are you doing?  Are you feeling more like you have a handle on things?  I haven't seen anything from you since this...not sure if that's because I am not totally connected or what but I wanted to let you know that you are being thought of...and that positive energy is being sent in your direction.

Ellen