cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

joshua2

4th day

It has been four days since I quit cold turkey, and I really hate it. I can't seem to stop thinking about cigarettes. I keep trying to focus on something else but my thoughts eventually find themselves back to the cancer sticks. In fact, I'm writing now just to keep myself from driving down to the corner store and picking up a single for 50 cents. Don't know what to do...HELP!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
mary39

I feel you, cold turkey sucks!!! I am on day three or maybe back on day one after my melt down last nite and smoked just one. I am kicking myself today for having that one. It is just so hard!!! Today has been emotional for me. I dont know why but all I want to do is cry. Its is very strange for me, to me crying is a sign of weakness, so I don't do it. I really hope this emotion passes I don't like it. Being a guy I am sure you wont go thru that emotion. I really don't know what to tell you to do since I am in the same place. I just needed to vent too and saw your post. Just take it one day at a time, thats what i am doing. WE CAN DO THIS!!!
0 Kudos
daniel8

Hey Joshua - I replied on your last post, so I wanted to comment again. Keep your head up, you can do it. Nicotine is only in the body 72 to 96 hours, then its all mental! My first four days (Oct 2nd I quit) were a struggle. Now, its been a week. I can already tell I'm doing better. Food tastes better, I don't get so out of breath working out, my sense of smell is much more heightened. I would suggest googling a picture of nicotine filled lungs, its absolutely disgusting. I looked at it and told myself I do not want that to be me! I've heard in 3 months I'll feel a night and day difference. It's been a week and I feel great, I'm looking forward to 3 months. After one week, I've already saved myself $25, for not doing something that is/was killing me! Isn't it amazing to think you are getting paid to not kill yourself? Additionally, I can already tell I have much more confidence in my job and talking to ladies....its an unreal feeling.

I view this website like a workout partner, its easier to do when your doing it with others. I've quit and now I feel like I have all these people that have my back and going through these struggles with me!

Good luck Joshua!
0 Kudos
dd_

Hi Joshua. I quit smoking on Monday so it's day four for me as well. Drinking lots of water and breathing deeply has helped me not to crack. Taking little walks when I felt like smoking helped as well. Telling yourself "I don't smoke, and I don't even think about it" helped me too. It takes 72 hours to get the nicotine out of your system. Once you do that, then there won't be any more physical withdrawl symptoms. which is definitely more than half the battle. You've made it this far....and you're already past the physical withdrawl. If you were to start smoking again now, you would have to go through all the physical withdrawal symptoms again. That's what keeps me from picking up a cigarette. You can do it...don't give up!!
0 Kudos
lindag

Joshua, It has been 17 hours since I quit. I'm doing pretty good. About 2 weeks ago I started going to the gym and I am going to continue to go. The exercise helps me to breathe deeper. I am going to make sure I'm busy every minute and put myself in places where smoking is not allowed. I hate smoking. It makes me smell bad, it tastes bad, makes me feel bad, makes my car stink and it is also a very powerful addiction. I have quit for a day. Tomorrow I will try to quit for another day. One day at a time is all we can do and it will get easier. I know because I had smoked 26 years when I quit 17 years ago. After 16 years I started trying a puff here and there and before you know it, I had bought a pack. I have been smoking again for 15 months. Today I gave it up again. I agree with DD, drink lots of water and stop for "breathing breaks" instead of cigarette breaks. Mary, go ahead and cry, it will help. As Daniel and DD stated, 72 hours and the nicotine is no longer a factor. I don't ever want to go through these withdrawals ever again. Sometimes I feel like a caged tiger, but I know it will pass. Reading these posts really seem to help. A funny story..I live alone with a chihuahua. I was going to try hypnosis tapes. The guy on the tape started speaking in his deep soothing voice. The dog started barking at the CD player and wouldn't stop. He either didn't like the guys voice or he sensed evil. Take care everyone; we can do this. Linda
0 Kudos
rosa

Joshua,

I hope we never have to go through the withdrawal again. Walks and water, good distractions. You can beat this stupid habit. It's worth it. I quit in March and I'm so glad because I just had hernia surgery and I could not imagine coughing right now! Do not buy a stupid cigarette for 50 cents, that's unbelievable. Doesn't the guy at behind the counter at the store feel bad? How much money have you saved since you quit?
0 Kudos