cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Zak1314

4 months

4 months no cig.. Definitely have to get use to the feeling of my lungs being clear of toxic smoke .Sometimes I ask myself am I breathing ? Lol .Why do I feel this way ? Why does it feel like I'm breathing slowly? So many foolish questions. It just feels different. And I come to realize that I really dislike the smell of cigarette smoke now. I don't want it around me at all ..

Tags (1)
15 Replies
meWisconsin

Fill those lungs with clean fresh air. Isn't it wonderful.

Congratulation on 4 months smoke free.

Terry

Barbscloud

My non-medical guess is that your  carbon monoxide level has dropped from quitting smoking.  It causes an increased heart rate and shortness of breathe.  There's more oxygen in your body.  Isn't that a great thing!

Congrats on 4 months smoke free.  You've really got this!

Barb

the carbon monoxide pushes out oxygen causing extra strain on vital organs like the heart and lungs.

elvan

I am SO HAPPY for you, Zak! Four months is AMAZING, you are discovering the wonder of life without drugging yourself! Good for you!

Ellen

indingrl

Zak - good job - walking will HELP balance breathing - I had to LEARN how to breathe one breathe at a time - I prayed and asked MY Holy Spirit in ME to teach ME to just breathe in MY Lord Jesus name amen - when I was smoking - I use to hold MY breathe to SUCK ON DEATH STICKS - ONLY by God's grace - NOT TODAY - I BREATHE deep and love being FREE -  Yahoooooo - I am so glad for YOU Zak - WAY TO GO STAYING A NON SMOKER JUST FOR YOURSELF

AnnetteMM

You're not short of breath lol, you're finally breathing properly! The nice, long, slow breathing feels wonderful but it is different from what you were used to, isn't it?  So much new stuff to get used to now. Hold onto that, and literally and figuratively breathe it all in as your new normal.

Zak1314

It's very different from what I'm use too Annette. To the point where it feels weird.. Lol

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I have read that, as smokers, we forgot how to breathe properly. I think the idea is to inhale so it feels as though you bring air all the way to your tummy, and to squeeze your tummy just a bit to get all the air out at the end of an exhale.  As smokers,  I think we breathed more shallowly.   Here's a gif as an exercise:

source.gif

Congratulations on FOUR MONTHS!

Giulia

We breathed so abnormally when we smoked that normal breathing seems different.  Your lungs are thanking you.  Kudos on the 4 months!

beazel

Congratulations! So happy for you.

Enjoy those lungs!!!!