cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

notch9

3+ year quitter picked up a cannabis addiction

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and can hardly navigate this site, so I hope I will be able to find this thread again later on to see if there are replies and engage with other people.

I feel like I have gone from one very bad addiction, nicotine, to another much less bad one, but still an addiction. I smoked cigarettes for decades and finally became nicotine free in 2015 and haven't touched a cig since then. Hooray. 

But I did pick up a cannabis addiction. Although it is not very much, less than one joint a day, I am continuously taking in small amounts to run an almost constant buzz.

Quitting nicotine was one of the hardest things I ever did and I'm proud of that accomplishment. I feel ashamed that now I have this other addiction to deal with.

Tags (1)
62 Replies
notch9

Hey crazymama_Lori,

I think you are absolutely right about the hand to mouth habit, and also

there's the part about inhaling smoke deeply. I was wrecking my health

smoking cigarettes and probably am just wrecking my motivation to do

anything by smoking weed. I am happy each day I am an ex nicotine smoker

though. I think I have also exchanged the nicotine buzz for the cannabis

one.

When I quit cigs I wasn't smoking pot then. I picked it up again later and

haven't been able to let it go, even though I know it is not good for me on

so many levels.

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM crazymama_Lori <

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Your pot may be laced with cocaine. 

0 Kudos
BassHead138

I can almost guarantee the pot is not laced with cocaine. People just don't do that. That basically just raises their overhead and reduces profit.

JACKIE1-25-15

Maybe not where you are from. Where I live I I know for a fact, that it is done.   It does not take much. 

0 Kudos

I replaced a cigarette with food in the early months and packed on the pounds.  Now that I gathered more information, I understood what I was doing back then.  Like I said, You have to retrain your brain.  You feel like lighting up, notice the time of day, the feeling you're experiencing, are you upset, frustrated, irritated, etc.  Now replace the impulse to light up with clicking a pen, rolling a small rock between your fingers, pop in a mint, a stick of gum, and best advice of all distract yourself, exercise that grey matter !!!!

DonnaMarie

I have a friend who quit smoking decades ago by using pot as a nicotine/smoking replacement therapy. This was before patches, etc.

Start easing back on the pot and get yourself a jar of cinnamon sticks. Smoke them instead over time. See how it works for you.

cinnamon.jpg

Donna

Day 159

notch9

Hi Donna,

When I quit smoking cigarettes I wasn't using pot because I thought this would weaken my resolve. It wasn't until several months afterwards that I picked it up again. I've been completely abstinent with cigs. I know I can never take another puff and will be right back into the using behavior if I did.

0 Kudos
indingrl

WELCOME and just asking - what is YOUR decision about YOUR pot smoking? Thats YOUR OWN PERSONAL decision - I am just asking -  would that be a narcotic or medicine weed and are there RECOVERY sites for EX- Pot users- hmmmmmm- try Google search- it has everything- I found on line for MY MANY ADDICTIONS this site could NOT HELP ME with since  MY FOOD ADDICTION for compulsive emotional eating was one of MY issues OTHER than MY NICOTINE ADDICTION - just saying and an on line group for MY ALCOHOL ADDICTION  - and an on line group for MY codependent PEOPLE approval ADDICTION - I just googled MY specific -  ADDICTIONS - alcohol -  food - chocolate - caffine - people approval - just talking about ME - NOT anyone else- sharing MY experience with MY addictions and specific on line support groups- does pot have nicotine in it - I know it has chemicals sprayed on it like chemicals put in TOBACCO - hmmmm - I will google it and read for MYSELF- education is the key THEY SUGGESTED that here to ME - and  they still SUGGEST that to ME on this site - to educate MYSELF about MY NICOTINE ADDICTION ONLY - not anyone else's - PLEASE take what HELPS and let go of the rest -to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you!  GOOD JOB 4 YEARS NICOTINE FREEDOM - yahooooooooo!!!!

CONGRATS on YOUR recovery from YOUR DRUG NICOTINE- Yahoooooooooo - WAY TO GO! gentle hug.

notch9

Well I was hoping I was allowed to participate here and talk about my addiction issues since i am a former cigarette smoker. I don't consider myself an old timer though. It's still less than 4 years since I quit. I haven't taken the decision yet to quit cannabis but am going to cut back, like Donna suggested.

indingrl

Cool! 

0 Kudos