cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Emmy2019

3 months still suffering

Hello everyone. I will have 3 months of cold turkey as of tomorrow. I have had just about every withdrawal symptom you can think of, which luckily have all passed. Although my physical symptoms are now gone, I’m still dealing with the anxiety. Although it has gotten better, I am still having trouble. I had a little anxiety before quitting but nothing like what Ive been dealing with since. It has been a rollercoaster to say the least. I know it can take a long time to adjust, I’m just wondering how everyone else’s experience has been and how long it took for you to feel “normal” or like yourself again. Thanks in advance. Emmy.

13 Replies
Andstillirise

Hi Emmy , 

ive suffered from debilitating life long anxiety . I’ve been on Xanax just about as long as I smoked . 30 years ....

It sounds so easy and too simple but exercise has been a life saver ! I know it sounds cliche but I power walk or run every single day . I make time for it because since I’ve quit smoking my anxiety has also gotten worse and almost as far a long as you are ....74 days here ....and since exercising my anxiety is now much better then it was as SMOKER ! 

You know what that tells me ? Smoking never did a damn thing for my anxiety , except made it worse I’m sure . Cigarettes lie to us and our brain is programmed to believe cigarettes help because of the nicotine. 

Try setting aside at least 30 mins , 4 times a week for a brisk walk and see if your anxiety doesn’t slow down . 

Congrats on being 90 days smoke free !!!!

elvan

Andstillirise‌ I absolutely agree with you, I could not exercise for the first couple of weeks because I had been so ill but once I was able to get on a stationary bike and use it for about 15-20 minutes, I actually felt exhilarated, I believe exercise helps with anxiety and depression and it is something I recommend to everyone who has issues with either of them.

Ellen

green1611

It does happen. But the Nic Demon needs to be driven out. It is out of your body, but not out of mind.

Good to keep reminding, NOPE.  Try remembering those turning points which made your mind to quit. 

Yoga does help, see if you can join authentic yoga classes. 

Best Regards

Subhash

Emmy2019

Thank you everyone for all of your input xx

0 Kudos