cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kane

2nd try...

Hello! My name is Kane. I am 23 years old and trying to quit for the 2nd time in the past 6 months. The first time around I went 3 weeks without smoking. I gave in when I got a promotion and was opening a new store. All of the stress seemed to be too much. I am also a single mother with no family support, which adds to my stress. I have not yet set a quit date, but I am hoping to be smoke-free in the next 30 days. Any advice?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
kane

Thank you so much for your supportive words! I have never before had support when trying to quit, or even thinking about quitting... I feel this time will be much different. I have not yet set a quit date, but I started cutting back today. I generally smoke a pack (or a little more) a day, mainly in the mornings. So far today I have only had three cigarettes. Considering my day started at 4am, I feel I'm doing good so far. Luckily, I have already stopped smoking in my car. I stopped this 3 years ago when I had my son. (It was hard enough doing that at the time!) As of now my major triggers are mornings, work, and drinking. (Luckily I don't drink that often!) I am going to put all of my efforts in doing this, and making this change permanent. I NEED to do this... For my health (I had 2 heart surgeries when I was only 17) and my son.
0 Kudos
kane

The money alone should be motivation enough for me to quit right away! ... or so you would think. The money issues hit when I thought about it recently. I purchased a new guitar for myself as well as one for my son so I could start giving him daily lessons. After making such a major purchase I sat down to do the math... 6 weeks of not smoking and I could have paid for both brand new guitars! At the moment I have a chart posted on the mirror in my bedroom listing how much money I spend on ciggs daily, weekly, monthly, and so on. This is a constant motivation for me.
0 Kudos
chuck-o

There's your motivation right there. I don't know how much you smoke but for me it was a pack a day or about $120 a month for the priviledge of killing myself slowly. Do it for your little one. A smoke is just what it is...a smoke. It doesn't remove stress or pressure from work, you do by your efforts and actions and results. This is my second time trying to quit. Last time I made it 6 months and probably a day or two. This time will be different. Do you realize if you take your monthly cigarette costs and put it in a mutual fund for your baby, you will probably have enough to send him/her to college before they graduate high school.
0 Kudos
becky16

Hi Kane,
I know how hard it is to be a single Mom and starting a new business. It's not easy. But, let me ask you this.....are your children and your business worth all the effort you put into them? If, like I think they are, you have learned that everything worthwhile in life takes an effort. Well, believe me when I say that quitting smoking is very, very, worthwhile. It is the best decision you could ever make in your life.....both for yourself and your child or children. We can always find an excuse to coninue a bad habit you have developed. It's easier to continue.....change is more difficult. We are afraid to change because it is the unknown. Take a risk and try it......set a quit date. Before you quit, cut back on your cigarettes. The first week delay your first cigarette by 15 minutes. The second week, delay your first cigarette by another 15 minutes.....and so forth. Don' allow yourself to smoke in your car. If you need a cigarette, stop and get out of your car. Start changing your addictive behaviors and thoughts. If you have coffee with your cigarette, drink your coffee in another room and don't have the cigarette with it. If you have a cigarette after you eat, eat in a different room and have a cigarette outside. Change those behaviors which go with the cigarette. YOU CAN DO THIS!! My goodness, if you can raise a child/children on your own, you can quit smoking!! You are strong, you just have to believe you are.
If you need any help we are all here for you. Write on here often to keep your focus, vent your frustrations and acknowledge your successes!!
0 Kudos
christine2007

You're gonna be able to do this. Just have a plan for when you're at your weakest and a plan for when you're feeling strong. Both go hand in hand. If you can try to stay in the moment if you're questioning whether you can do it... you're gonna have an even greater chance for wonderrful, delicious and absolutely absorbing SUCCESS!!!!

If you have to bargain with yourself to wait just another hour or just another day, whatever you decide, you'll find it getting easier and easier.

Good luck!!!
0 Kudos

jUST DO IT.
dON'T OVERTHINK IT.

jUST SAY NO
tAKE THE POWER TO SAY NO BACK WHEN IT COMES TO SMOKING
0 Kudos
Giulia

Advice? Oh yeah, there's TONS of it on this site. Just read everything you can. We're all saying the same thing in different ways all over the place.

You might want to check out Relapse Traps and when you're ready to quit again, make a daily promise to us all in the Daily Pledge: Daily Pledge Group not to smoke. Hold yourself accountable and puts a little pressure on to maintain the quit..

Bottom line is, if you make smoking not an option, you will free yourself. But you have to stick to your guns. It's all possible. Just look at all the success stories on here daily.

Steady on.

Giulia ( years 6 mos +)
0 Kudos
andrea30

Kane this is so possible for you. If you get your mind truly set on quitting you will do it. Tell yourself you will not have one more. Even after you have been smoke free for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year you must keep telling yourself you will not have one more.
I read "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. It helps you get the mind set to not smoke again ever. After reading that book this has been the easiest quit I've had (mind you it's only been 8 days). All the other times the cravings were ridiculous and I always told myself that 1 cigarette wouldn't get me off track, but it did every time. This time I will not smoke one more pack, I will not smoke one more cigarette, and I will not take one more puff ever.
You have all the strength you need right inside yourself, and you have all the reasons to quit. Your son deserves to have you live a long life with him.
NOPE=Not One Puff Ever
You can do this.
Good Luck!!!!!!
0 Kudos
edith2

We don't smoke because of stress. We smoke because we're addicted. Stress is a part of life. So you learn how to handle life on life's terms and not smoke over it. Smoking never solves anything, it just makes you stink, cough, and it shortens your life. Set your quit date ASAP. You don't want your addiction to rationalize you into not quitting. This is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make in your life and it's one of the best. You're doing the right thing by being involved with this site. Start getting excited about quitting. You have so much to look forward to. Don't let any person, place, thing, or event keep you from your goal of quitting. The sooner you quit, the better.
0 Kudos