cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

curt2

2day is the Day

I'm starting my new quit date today. I am very serious this time. I'm ashame but instead of continue smoking the guilt away i have decided to come back and face the music. Here I go again............Wish me Luck. Don't have much 2 say as of now....still trying 2 pick my head up.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
tami2

That first day is the hardest, that's for sure. Just try to find as many things to do as you can. Or do nothing at all if that works best for you. My experience with the first day is spending the whole day trying to DECIDE if I really want TODAY to be my first day or not. That is my brain withdrawing from nicotine talking. It will try to talk me into why TOMORROW would be better! My advice is to commit to a quit day, whether or not that is today, and then follow through with it no mater what is going on that day. Make it non-.negotiable Good luck! You will feel so great tomorrow morning when you wake up and realize you made it through the first day. Good luck!
0 Kudos
curt2

Tami.....you are right..........and i'm proud to say i made it through the first day. You gave some good advice...greatly appreciated....good loookin out.
0 Kudos
tami2

Hey Curt, glad to hear you made it yesterday! Every day when you wake up and can add another day makes you stronger and less willing to mess it up. The battles were hard-won and your success will give you the confidence to go on. Remember that this discomfort is temporary and you will get used to it a little more each day. Time is on your side. Keep writing to me, I have lots of good advice, I just don't always follow it myself!
0 Kudos
curt2

Same this way....good advice but won't follow it myself......lol Tami I'm on day 3 of being smoke free. I think i can make it thru the night.
0 Kudos
tami2

Hi! I'm happy to hear you're going strong. Sounds like you've done this before too. I tell you, i have been trying to quit for so many years that it is very frustrating to me and scary to wonder if I'll ever do it permanently. I get through the initial experience fine (though not easily) but then something trips me up, reels me back in, weeks, months, or in one case over a year later. I think I am finally realizing that nicotine is an addiction as much as alcoholism or any other, and that I will always be vulnerable to relapse no matter how long ago I quit. I have tended to "flirt" with the idea of "just having one" every now and then and it always leads me back here. I feel smarter and wiser this time. Have a great day!
0 Kudos
curt2

lf you "flirt"....don't touch...lol........I have also thought about just one. So if you don't do i won't do it. We are in this 2gether. I'm on day 4 now. Have a good day also.
0 Kudos
tami2

Hi Curt! I didn't get on here yesterday. Happy to hear you're still smokefree. This is day 11 for me and I'm happy to say that I am really used to it now. I no longer try to make sure I have my cigarettes when I leave the house or think about them when the phone rings. I don't know how these things happen, i guess you just gradually forget bout them with time and practice. I've heard it takes 21 days or times for a new behavior to become a habit. You know all the times I have allowed myself that "just one" I've known deep in my heart that it would lead me back but have allowed it anyway. Those cravings will trick your brain and make you talk yourself into it. I used to not understand how you could have a craving months or even years after quitting. Now I am finally starting to understand just how truly deep this addiction is and that it is like alcoholism in the fact that once you have had a problem with it, you will always be susceptible to relapse. I have read that any kind of chemical addiction leaves a sort of "imprint" on your brain from the chemical changes it causes and that it will never forget whatever benefits it was getting from the drug. OK didn't mean to ramble on but i am just so full of information that I want to share it with someone it might help! Namely you. Happy 4th. Don't blow it at a cook-out or party!
0 Kudos
jennie3

Good luck not everyone can quit the 1st time evweryone is diffrent ! The fact that you are willing to keep trying shows that you have guts chin up my dear!
0 Kudos