cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Zak1314

2 weeks into quit .

2 weeks into quit . Tried the gum to help with my withdrawal symptoms first 2 days but I think it made the anxiety so much worse . So I've been smoke free for 2 weeks and I'm so proud of me. But it does seem as though the cravings are getting more intense.. What can I do ?

Tags (1)
15 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the gift of LIFE, congratulations on your precious quit journey YAY for 2 precious Smokefree weeks and counting it's going to take time to get through the roller coaster ups and downs of withdrawals and moodswings and lack of sleep to get into a good place in your quit but you will get there keep your mind as well as well as your hands occupied, I chomped on carrots and celery sticks plus I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of of any unforseen cravings plus I drank alot of water which helped please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it to be Free. Zak1314 I'll do a mention to YoungAtHeart to post her welcome to you stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can.....

YoungAtHeart

Thanks, MarilynH !

Zak1314

Thank you . I'm glad to have people that were in my shoes helping me through my journey.. Really appreciate it!

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Zak1314 

Two weeks of Freedom ... is super...keep saying “NOPE” (Not One Puff Ever)...Take some time and read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX also, read about addiction and quitting.  Next keep close to the support site for help getting through the cravings and triggers.  Also, this list might help you out when you have a crave.../blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=6... Remember it takes time to feel good in your new non smoking skin.  Hang tough...You are doing it...and we are here to help...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 504 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

Congratulations on making it through H#ll AND Heck Weeks.  That is a  big deal!

A lot of smokers self-medicated for anxiety with nicotine. If it continues to be a problem, a visit (or call) to your doctor might be in order.   You might try increasing your exercise, and perhaps use an NRT that gives a more even dose of nicotine (such as the patch).  You might have actually been getting too much nicotine from the gum, and that would increase your anxiety, too.. 

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Glad you checked in. That's four more days smoke free.  That's progress.  Keep moving forward.

Barb

diamond01

Hi, you can do it the first two weeks are a bitch, just breath you got this

maryfreecig

Cravings? For one, glom onto Ex. Read, blog, learn, comment. This is a community of quitters and now you are one of us. Then there is the practical stuff--cravings don't last forever just a few minutes--so you ride them out by thinking it through, getting busy doing something else, say I don't do that anymore, go out for a walk, get exercise inside if need be, distract your mind by reading, watching a funny show or something else that you like, or play a game...etc.

Above all else, please know that this is a one day at a time journey--not tomorrow, not next week, not next month...just for today.

Welcome to Ex!

Keep doing what you're doing Zak you'll get there. It's gonna get easier for ya very soon. Stay the course.

Mn@ 001.jpg