cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

dee2018

2 months smoke free and anxiety/depression is still here? Is this normal?

This is my first post. I am just over 2 months smoke free today. I very worried that I may slip and smoke again. I would really like to say That after 2 months I no longer have the cravings, but I feel that it may be the only thing to relax me. 

I feel everyday is a fight to stay happy. Am I the only one out there that is still having these feelings of depression after 2 months of being smoke free? Do they typically lessen or go away after a few months? Does anyone know when they typically subside? 

Any suggestions on how to deal with depression and not sleeping through the night? Its been a while and I am scared because I am starting to think there is something wrong with me. I really don't want to take any medications, but if this is not normal then perhaps I need to see someone about a potential emotional problem. Perhaps my smoking cigarettes allowed me to cope with depression before and now without cigarettes I can't cope? ..Thanks for any help...

22 Replies
anaussiemom

It may help

maryfreecig

Getting off cigarettes/nicotine is a big deal. A life changer. It sounds life you've been going it alone? What you are describing reminded me of how I felt at two months in (I went cold turkey). I was 54 when I quit and I just wondered where the happiness went. My mojo. My zest for life. I winced to think of the future...is this it is going to be forever????? 

I don't have all the answers as to why I felt blue, but one thing for certain is that I did not have enough smobriety direction to help carve out a solid smobriety---time helped a good deal, getting rid of big stresses helped a good deal, and coming to EX and participating helped alot too. I'm glad you blogged. I'm imagining that your smobriety felt a bit too painful? God, how I relate...thought I was nuts (broken for good). But like I said, taking action in different ways helped to break my ties and associations with the cig. Keep coming back, keep taking part of the conversations, make a new list of what you might do to feel better about your smobriety.

Two months is awesome. And yes you can shine about that. Welcome to EX

TW517

Everyone is different, and I don't think my journey was "typical" if there is such a thing.  But my anxiety/depression lasted for 5 months.  So I wouldn't say your situation is abnormal.  The good news is, my spirits lifted quickly after that.  I can honestly say I have never been happier and more energetic in 20 years!  

I wouldn't discourage you from seeking professional advice, but I finally learned to cope with my anxieties without the cigarettes, and am all the stronger for it.  Stick with it and read as much as you can here.  I promise it will get better.

TessaGrace

I've been feeling depressed but it doesn't feel like it's because I'm lacking nicotine, or smoking, its the circumstances of my life, some of my relationships and seeing what people are doing to our planet that I'm finding depressing. Maybe it's different for you. Today I was reflecting that when I used to have an argument I would go and smoke at the earliest opportunity which is sad to me now and feels like not being on my own side. X (18/19DOF)  

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, congratulations on two months smoke free...this is your first post...have you been reading or getting support elsewhere?  I am a HUGE fan of getting dopamine from exercise and watching funny videos or playing computer games...that said, I think that if you have tried things to feel better and they are not working, there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a professional to see if they think some medication might be in order.  I believe that nicotine was the medication of choice for most of us. Part of that was because we were uncomfortable feeling our feelings and nicotine helped us to stuff them.  

I am really impressed that you have two months...you are in what we refer to as No Man's Land which is the period of time when people who never smoked think we should be "over" it and people who still smoke kind of shy away from us because we make them uncomfortable.  Quitting is a journey, not an event and we all have to learn to deal with life without nicotine.

Ellen

MarilynH

Welcome to the community, congratulations on your precious 2 months of Smokefree living, please stay close because we're all here to help you through any rough patches that you may come upon, you are doing great with your quit please know that you can and will be successful ,it's so worth it to be Free so hang tough because there's definetly Life after Cigarettes and it's the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the gift of LIFE, it will get easier and easier with time under your belt so keep moving forward and stacking up your precious Days of Freedom so each evening you can look yourself in the mirror and smile and say yay for another Day WON! 

dee2018

I want to express my gratitude to everyone who reached out to answer my question, and show me such wonderful support.  I am lucky to have stumbled upon this group.  I feel supported and I am thankful for it.

aderb

dee2018, thank you so much for asking this question, I am a long way behind you at just over one week quit, but I am already finding it an emotional roller-coaster, at times very weepy and then switching to angry almost aggressive and it is exhausting.   I worry about depression and my coping skills going forward in my quit, I will read everything suggested here and try to stay calm and stay quit.  Congratulations on two months SMOKEFREE.

0 Kudos
Gma_Bernie

Dee,

First of all, I suffer from anxiety and depression also. I quit 90 days ago. And it is completely normal that you are still feeling anxiety and depression. Our problems don't go away just because we quit. I still have frequent bouts of doubt and crying and losing hope. And I keep saying to myself how can this be after so long?

The answer is it takes more time. My doctor told me not to expect much for at least 6 months. Of course I smoked for 45 years. so I am just quietly going to the Y two or three times a week for yoga or stretching. I am walking my dog every morning. I am doing my household duties except when I get into one of my funks. Then my gracious husband takes over for me.

Luckily for me, he realizes that it will take time too. It took us a long time to get to where we are. It's going to take a while before not smoking feels normal.

Let yourself stay in bed, watch old movies or Netflix, eat whatever you want, sleep when you can. And for the insomnia, I recommend Ambien. I know you said you didn't want to take drugs, but my doctor was totally supportive when I told her I was quitting and having trouble sleeping. It doesn't mean you're weak to use a little help to get to sleep. Believe me, it's not habit forming and it brings on blessed forgetfulness for 8 hours.

That's my two cents worth.

Bernie

anaussiemom

The answer to your Question is yes!  Try a small baby step in getting up no matter how hard.   Standing in place walk, jump, march.   Try lifting some small hand weights.  Anything to help with anxiety, and causes good "chemical change, in the brain.    Even if it only last a short time.  
Magnesium foods also help     My 2 cents.

Many blessings
Kimroses-desi-glitters-59.gif