cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

patrickjones

1st Day here, ready for success.

Hey everyone, I am new to this site, but not new to attempting to quit.  I feel that I have sabotaged myself in the past with quitting efforts and now that I will be 32 this year, and have been smoking for nearly half my life I am done with this garbage.  I coach both my kids soccer teams, and have really begun to notice the negative effects of smoking on my health much more than I had in the past.  I can do this.  I wish everyone else the best of luck and all my support.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
usacross

Patrick,

Tell yourself that what you are doing is RIGHT.  Live hour by hour for the first few days.  Then day by day. Then week by week.  I was a pack-a-day man.  I quit on May 20, 2002.  Also, It's ok to remember the day you quit !  Good Luck.  And keep telling yourself that you don't need to smoke.

Darrell

0 Kudos
patrickjones

Thanks Darrell!  It's really great to see that within 30 minutes of posting I have people in my corner!  I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and give me great advice.  I just joined today so it would not let me select today or tomorrow as my "quit" day, but rather forced me to push it two weeks out.  I understand the logic behind it, but I am still going to go through with my plan of having tomorrow as my official quit day.  I have taken your words and set them to my computer desktop as my wall paper so I can read constantly the mantra of taking it hour by hour, day by day, week by week (paraphrased your words for brevity's sake!).  Congrats on being quit almost a decade!  I can't wait till I'm singing the same song.  Thanks again buddy!

0 Kudos

Good luck on this journey...I am on day 2 and having a hard time. I successfully quit for 2 years with the help of this site but ending up giving in and went back to smoking. So here I am agian. Im going to do it this time..permenantly!!!

0 Kudos
patrickjones

Thanks Laura!  The longest I had successfully quit in the past was for a total of 9 months.  And that was about 5-6 years ago.  So I have not had very much success at all.  I have tried so many times but it is just too easy to keep thinking about running to the store and grabbing a pack.  I wish you luck and I know we can do it for good this time!

0 Kudos