cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rbrown53

16 DOF and feel like i'm starving

I can't seem to get enough to eat no matter what I do. Any good tips?

33 Replies
Sootie

Mandolinrain‌    TRUE! As I said----your dentist WILL yell at you. But---sorry...sucking ice doesn't do it for me.......

However, it is a bad habit.......but, one I have not yet conquered!

Mandolinrain

Sorry, having an off day today...now I see where you said that..... I need to get my readers on!!!    LOL

Lisaml

Congrafilations!!!! I ate a lot of popsicles. Banana popsicles all day long....;-) 

Giulia

Strong plain (unsweetened) green tea curbed my appetite tremendously.  AND it's really good for you.  You can get green tea bags in any grocery store.  If you can't stand it plain, then add some sugar, but it won't be as effective in curbing the desire for food.   I was just like you - could not become sated by anything I put in my mouth.  I once just chowed down on a head of head lettuce.  Almost ate the whole thing like an apple!  lol  It's that empty, gnawing feeling in the gut. I remember it well.  The suggestions others made above me are all good ones.  It will eventually even out and you'll go back to normal.  Exercise really helps too.  Kudos on the 16 days.  Keep a'going!

Barb102

I just saw a great commercial where a young woman says “I tried to stop once and I gained 5 Lbs”. Then you see a young very sick young woman who says “ I lost 25 lbs on Chemo”. We can do this and take the weight off later. We can we will be empowered. Also know that our metabolism slows once we stop smoking. So even if we eat healthy we will gain weight. I used to use that as an excuse not to quit. Come on we all know we can always find an excuse. But we got this.  We are struggling to keep our quit each day. Let’s not overwhelm ourselves.   We can do this, I have to believe that!

Barb

katflo0214

I eat a lot of banana chips and almonds, I also had to drink a lot more water it helped a lot. The hardest part for my start to the day was eating three balanced meals a day especially breakfast. It takes a little time for the food hunger to pass but it will. Try to keep busy and your mind off food. I would also try the strawberry mints and lollipops. I hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

Withdrawal is a state of "Restlessness".....Eat ! Drink! and be Merry!.....it will pass and your body will get back to normal sooner than you think. You know what works best for you, so keep discovering your "niche". Miles of Smiles ! 

Gma_Bernie

I didn't really have this exact same problem because I smoked for so long that my appetite really still hasn't come back fully. But I still have the hand to mouth Habit to deal with. My Philosophy is that as long as you are not smoking, you can eat whatever you want. At least until you feel secure enough not to dig in the garbage for butts to smoke. Now I am using nicotine gum and drink lots of water with it.

Give yourself a break. It will get better. And a few pounds heavier is still not as big a health threat as baking your lungs for 45 years like I did.

In fact, I do enjoy a piece of chocolate cake with my coffee for breakfast. And I am not worried about it because each day that I don't smoke is a victory for me!

I Always did have a thing for chocolate. And for years and years I’ve eaten dark chocolate every day. I sure hope over the long haul my waistline can still handle it. I’d be hard-pressed to have to give the chocolate up. Loved your comment about chocolate cake for breakfast with your coffee! Prairie 44 days of freedom

0 Kudos
GyorgyiM

Just to give you some closure on this "hunger thingie" . Cigarettes smoking puts sugar into your blood stream, which is how it is quoted as a "appetite suppressant". It only takes seconds for the nicotine to release sugar into your blood stream.  When you eat food it takes up to 20 minutes from the time you chew and swallow before its released into the blood. This is why many people  gorge themselves on food upon cessation. They start to experience a drop in blood sugar and then reach for something sweet, but they still feel hungry because as I said it takes 20 minutes for your body to respond to the intake of food to  fuel your blood sugar levels.So you keep eating more and more until the desired time goes by (20 minutes) and your blood sugar is boosted and you feel satisfied. When you quit smoking abruptly, the body is in kind of a state of loss and shock, not knowing how to work normally (since smoking isn't  a normal body activity) Eventually your body will readjust and release sugar as it is needed. Without eating any more your body will just figure out how to regulate blood sugar more efficiently...it just takes a little time. Hope this helped....MUNCH AWAY!