cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tarrah84

12 Days until my Date

I am 12 days until I hit my quit smoking date and I have to say, the anxiety of it is starting to set in. As I track my triggers, it's just a huge blow to the face seeing them and thinking "How on earth do I avoid these????" For instance, how on earth will I get past my morning cigarette? How on earth will I get past my stressed out cigarette? I am still working hard at developing ideas to help ease into my quit smoking date but the more I push myself, the more I am really feeling the anxiety build up....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Here at Ex, we highly recommend education as a key ingredient to a successful quit.  Start with Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.:  The better you understand what nicotine does to your mind and body, the better prepared you will be to do battle with it.  Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, check out whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com.  Also read the blogs, responses and pages of folks who you think might be helpful to you on this site.

I think most of us here approached out quit dates with anxiety.  But - you make a plan ahead of time, and that does help.  Get back in touch after you have done the readings and we will help you make ours!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

0 Kudos
Mrs.Rum

Make a plan.  Find something you can do when you reach that exact moment and then go do it.  "Instead of my morning smoke I can do <this>".  "When I want the stressed cigarette I will do <this>".  Then you execute the plan, every time.  

0 Kudos
lois2

come on we are waiting, you can do this

0 Kudos
wishingstar

Hi and welcome Read this book and links the exer have shared. It’s been a tremendous help to me, This Is my 4th and last quit. I laughed when they said read the book. How the heck is that going to help when nothing else did, believe you me, I tried several different methods to quit..  What, I learned from my last quit, NO TYPE of Tabaco is safe. 30 days free went out the window. The book and this group is a God send.

Have a plan: change things up deep breaths and self -talk, because while you’re fighting  necodemon, he will test you. Smokeless angel is your plan and self- talk and this great group of support. Read the blogs to. Write them. I found inspiration from fellow exers,. If they can do it!! Staying smoke free, even when they could be having the worst day or their life or a very stressful one, the chose to stay free

You can do this

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Benefits

http://smokefree-lungs.blogspot.com/2009/12/quitting-timeline.html

0 Kudos
Nyima_1.6.13

Knowledge is power when it comes to this addiction! Read everything you can get your hands on, it will motivate you! 

For me, the anxiety about quitting was about 100 times worse than the first day! You might be surprised how strong you are! When you get a craving, it only lasts about three minutes....I brushed my teeth a lot! Didn't need to spend money to bleach them, I did it myself with all that brushing!

welcome and good luck

0 Kudos
Michwoman

Hello Tarra - OK first of all - calm down. Take a minute and read all of what has just been said to you AGAIN calmly... rationally. It's really not as scary as we tell ourselves it will be. Really. It's not. It's ridding yourself of something nasty and destructive. Anti-social and expensive. You won't be giving up anything good. Take some time and read some of the blogs of people who started out petrified scared and are now helping others with their quit.

You can do this. You want to so therefore you can! Don't give another penny to the big tobacco companies who are systematically killing you just to make a buck. Take a look at this short video to see what you are clinging to:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/joelcigfriend.HTML

You can do this! We are here to help!

0 Kudos
tarrah84

Thank you all for the very supportive and useful advice. 🙂

0 Kudos
tracyb316

thought i was the only person who was waiting for my start date. Have some of the same feeling u do, the morning 1 scares me the most. But reading alot here and finding some really wonderful advice.

0 Kudos
smokefree2013

Tarra, go  back to the drawing board.  You are not there yet..Try www.quitsmokingonline.com.  I want to wring your neck, but at the same time I want to Love you and help you.  Your friend in Christ Robin.

0 Kudos