cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

princessdeb

1 Year & 2 Months ~ I'm Back

I think I've tried to quit every day for 14 months since I was last here. I want to quit so bad...I don't know what's wrong with me!!! I keep giving in. I've set my quit date for Saturday and I've got a lot of reading to do here. I'm so tired of sneaking around and smoking...I'm tired of being controlled by the cigarettes. I'm going broke buying smokes at almost $10 / pack.  I'm quitting with no NRT.  Putting that nicotine in my system is just as addicting as smoking for me.  I've made the decision to go cold turkey. I know that being here will help me be successful.

Deb...Freedom is coming.

Tags (1)
23 Replies
lqsi12

You know addiction and habits are hard, can you think of a reason that you do not wish to quit, of course not. Many of us here have tried and failed many times, but we keep returning to what we know is right for us.  You must find the will power at each temptation somehow.  There is a key, we all have it in us you just need to find the lock.  We are here as you know, check in, write a short sentence, let us know whats up, someone WILL eventually reply.  Read about the dangers of smoking at that time of the crave, JUST don't give in to the 3-5 minutes. You know how, it just requires diligence and practice !

princessdeb

lqsi12 thank you for your support.  It's funny, I set my date for Saturday and I have cigarettes now, but since I posted here and started reading, I dont want to smoke.  

0 Kudos
lqsi12

try to resist smoking, no better time than the present,...... is my personal opinion and if you do continue, get rid of those smokes tomorrow Friday, at bedtime.  Please,..... be true to yourself........... it is hard we all know that !

princessdeb

lqsi12 I'm taking your advice.  I'm going to destroy them now.  I do have 1/2 bottle of mini lozenges to get me through the day and tomorrow...no nicotine whatsoever.

0 Kudos

Sometimes it takes more than one attempt. It's hard but can be done as so many here know. Be ready for the struggle in the beginning. Know your triggers and how to avoid them when they tempt you. But most of all, never give up on yourself. I am glad that you haven't given up, because the alternative of what happens to us when we keep smoking isn't pretty. I wish you success!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

princessdeb

chuck-2-20-2011 thanks for the encouragement. I'm more than ready this time. I just want to be done with it! I've never tried cold turkey, but I feel that is the way for me to go this time. From my experience, all the NRT I've tried leads me right back to smoking.

I am so happy to see you back Deborah. I know you're scared of the urges to come but there's a way to get by them.  The best advice I got about the urges is this…let em come, welcome them & let em wash right over you. Then as quickly as they came they're gone again. The first few times you'll be a little anxious but the more you do this the more powerful you become & the lesser the cravings are. Soon they will have no power over you. Anyone can do this Deborah but only a few really want to. Become the person you didn't know you wanted to be.

Mn@ 001.jpg

princessdeb

Mike.n.Atlanta Thanks for the welcome back.  I feel like I'm home.♡ Yes I am scared about the withdrawal without NRT, I just want ALL the nicotine gone asap. Thanks for the advice and support.

Maryhudzik

Yes key word is want, really truly want it or in our case dont want it. Good advice you give. I believe that unless your really ready and just sick of smoking and all the cons that go with it will be the reason you fail or succeed. 

0 Kudos