cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ranjitthewolf

1.5 months quit. going to be stuck with a chain smoker for 2500 km road trip

Hello All,

I have quit smoking 1.5 months back successfully. I a technician by trade is going to do a service trip across the country with a chain smoker in a single cab truck. I am scared if i will relapse into smoking. I have already put sufficient mechanisms in place so that i don't smoke in my apartment or at work. So is it ok if i relapse for 3 days and quit again. Although i do have some urge to smoke i don't really have a continuous urge to smoke these days but to be honest i do feel it would be nice if i could smoke 1.

Please advice?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
ranjitthewolf

easier said than done. The challenge here is the place we are traveling is the Namib desert and its winter here. Gets extremely cold at night and we have to work through out the night. Smoking did keep sleep away and kept me warm. So these trips are the biggest hurdle im facing. Thats why i came to the site in the first place to find out if a slip for 3 days is ok or not.

TurboRose

I like making a tea from fresh ginger and cinnamon sticks. Ginger helps with warmth and the cinnamon helps me calm my oral urge. I strain it, sweeten and sometimes add fresh lemon.

Can you get thermal undergarments to help keep you warm?

I read somewhere on this site if you think you will, the addiction will meet your belief. Maybe focusing on staying with your Quit will add to your resolve.

Remember the Little Engine - "I think I can. I think I can." I believe you can. I hope you can believe you can too!

Michele 14 DOF 

Definitely not OK. Do you drink Darjeeling? It will keep you warm and awake! Instead of planning your Relapse - plan your Success!

stAn3

My experience has been that being around people smoking will not make me smoke. What will make me smoke is to envy the person smoking, feeling like they are enjoying something I can't have. Really look at the reality of the person smoking. How do they feel about smoking? Do they really enjoy it? Most people I see smoking do it because they feel they have to smoke. And...they wish they weren't smoking. They just don't think they can stop. Look at the reality of your smoking. You quit for a reason. There was something about smoking you did not like. If you think about it, you are the lucky one because you quit. You no longer have to smoke. You have found recovery!

You will have to smoke if you give in and take that first puff. One puff will re-activate the addiction. Then it will be hard to stop smoking. The easier option is to make a commitment not to smoke during the trip and to do what it takes not to smoke. If you get through the trip without smoking, you will realize you don't have to smoke on these trips. You'll find other ways to stay alert and warm. 

prjimm01

you are not a smoker.  make the smoker stop and get out.  if this is a work situation call OSHA.  second hand smoke is a killer and is illegal in the workplace.

prjimm01

oops  no OSHA

0 Kudos