cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

lilly2

what happens after the chantix

Hi fellow exers using chantix. I have been on Chantix for about 4 weeks. It really does work! I have crazy vivid nightmares, bouts with nausea and constipation; but it's worth it. I smoked with it about 10 days into the drug and when I went to have (what is now my last ) cig - I experienced no pleasure from the filthy weed.

This is not to say that a day does not go by that I don't want one. It truly is a one day at a time deal. I have been smoking for 20 years - it' s like loosing a friend you know you shouldn't have in your life.

I was FINALLY able to have a cup of coffee without completely craving a a cig with all my being.

A friend of mine told me that he knows of two peple who had been on Chantix for 4 months and then went back to smoking soon after they stopped taking it. I guess at the end of the day, it all comes back to our decision to never have a cig again. I can't make that promise to my loved ones. However, I do know, that if I fool myself into thinking I can just have one every now and then, I head right back to being a full on smoker. There is not gray area.

Has anyone tried smokers anonomys and has that helped?

Thanks and good luck with the struggle.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
janie5

Way to go Linda....CONGRATS on your SIX MONTHS SMOKE FREE!
0 Kudos
cynthia5

chantix has been hard on my stomach ( bvut then again i do have pancretites) i have only been on them for 3 weeks now.
yesterday night i tried to cut one in half and half way through the night i woke up and got out of bed looking for my smokes.
when i woke all the way i relised i didnt smoke any more so i went back to bed.
As for having problems sleeping i have always had that and take mned's to help me.
And as for the night mares well i dont seem to have them and i seem to have better dreams lol. more llife like ones.
i was told that once i stop taking the pill that i will go back to smoking...wow all this work for nothing is what i told the lady lol.
i stopped because the doc found 8 spots on both lungs and said i now have emphyozima.
bad spelling sry ppl.
my dad dies 2 yrs ago due to COPD and my ant passed away a year ago due to lung cancer so here i am trying one day one min at a time.
after 35 year of smoking a pack a day i sure hope i can fix what i messed up.
I WANT TO LIVE
0 Kudos
shanna77

I here that! That is one of my big worries. Gaining weight. When I went and got the Chantix the doctor warned me about weight gain and she already told me I need to lose like 11lbs. I am 5ft and 144lbs. So, I am on my 4th day no cigarettes and started excercising yesterday. The doctor said once I beat this then will do something about my weight. Its just beating one thing at a time I guess.
0 Kudos