cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

evon-barker

close to giving up on quitting

I am so ready to give up! I cried all night because I am gaining so much weight, and because I caved around smoking friends and smoked with them. I think either it's the pills or just not smoking that is making me depressed. Either I smoke and eat foods I like or stop smoking and spend my life eating lettuce and tofu. Yeah every one is going to say exercise, but problem is I am disabled with Lupus and have to limit my exercise to only my good days. I am so disgusted with myself! I feel like a failure. I didn't even take my chantix last night, or this morning.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jayne3

I'm having a really bad day. I almost gave up. Just browsing thru here & read what you said.. It is calming.
I've never been thru anything so hard in my life. I thought I'd been thru it all. I've been 5+ months without a cigarette
or any nicotine replacement & still crave it like it was the first day. I hope I don't give in. Thanks for Sharing... jayne
0 Kudos
evon-barker

Hang in there Jayne! Seems like we are all in the same boat...and we gotta wonder "does this blasted river ever end?" and "who in the hell took the oars...ok....who decided to smoke them???" LOL!
0 Kudos
carol-hetzler

Evon - Depression can also be a problem in and of itself. You might want to discuss it with your doctor before giving up on quitting smoking. As far as the weight gain, generally you should only gain ten to fifteen pounds when you quit smoking (according to statistics I've read). It might be different for someone with Lupus. I don't really know anything about the disease. I know a lot about depression having suffered with it my whole life. Right now I'm on Chantix for the third time and 36 days without a cigarette (not that I don't still want one, specially if I'm around someone smoking). I'm determined not to start again this time. I find deep breathing helps a lot when I feel like I can't go another minute without a cigarette. I also spend time each day meditating and doing creative visualization (seeing myself completely smoke free and not needing or wanting a cigarette). These things help. You also don't have to live on lettuce and tofu if you quit smoking. You can still eat the foods you like, just the days you can't walk or get some sort of exercise, eat smaller portions. Find a website that has a calorie burn calculator and try to keep the calories you take in balanced with the calories you burn and you'll find you'll maintain you're weight. If you want to lose weight, eat 500 less calories per day than you burn and you'll lose one pound a week.
0 Kudos