cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Sheteve

Why is this so hard?

Mark Twain‘Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.’ 

I really feel what Mark Twain was saying here because I have attempted being a nonsmoker MULTIPLE times. I have used the patch and this time I'm just going cold turkey. I am trying the Allen Carr method. I have also tried Chantix (which made me CRAZY) and the gum which I had an allergic reaction to. 

I actually thoroughly enjoy not smoking but after I get about 6-7 days in this little monster starts chatting in my ear saying things like if you just have one with your wine it will be fine, but it doesn't stay at 1 and it doesn't end up fine. Any advice, or information on what has helped multiple attempt quitters actually kick smoking for good?

15 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  I've never done anything like this before and it's been so helpful for finally achieving a successful quit.  The support makes all the difference.  

Barb

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. A lot of Exers will tell you that quitting is not an event, it's a journey. It has to do with the addiction, the dependency. You may enjoy not smoking for seven days, but quitting takes more than feeling good about it because feeling good means reward and there are plenty of times when quitters have to look for more than reward. It takes acceptance, persistence, willingness, support, relearning life amongst other things--but it all happens one day at a time. Just my opinions anyway--always take what you can use and leave the rest. 

Augustus44

Shetiva, 

I'm going through the same deal. I'm on day 53 and I'm 75, and a life long smoker. When I get the pangs here and there, i try to change the subject--that is, I stop doing whatever it is I'm doing and do something else. The pangs are getting to be fewer, but the big one says, "Take a puff of one, and see what you've given up; it will refresh your mind that you quit for a reason" That's Junkie talk for sure. I could go into a litany of all the positives that have happened in the past 53 days, but as you know, we smokers will accept any excuse to smoke. I've read Carr's book, and something I remember is this: You smoke a cigarette and then smoke another one later to get to the same level that the first cigarette gave you, and you keep reaching that level, losing it, and then reach for it again with another cigarette. You don't smoke because you enjoy it.

I don't know if this might help, but when I'm having a NIC FIT, I sometimes go to the front of the Walmart where I live, and watch and smell the smoke from the smokers--mostly they are the poor or the people who wear their "cool" clothes that say Nascar, or Motorcycle something or other. That's a visual reminder that maybe I've done the right thing finally. Also, I notice the numbers of people emerging from, or going into Walmart, who aren't smoking at all. I'm not making any holier than thou judgement on anyone. I'm just saying that there are a lot more  people walking around not smoking, and they don't seem to be rushing to buy a pack of butts, and light one up, the minute they get outside--which, by the way is 30 degrees with a sharp biting wind. So hang in there. I hope this has helped. 

By the way, the longest NIC  FIT I've had has lasted about 5 minutes--

indingrl

Welcome - just keep blogging and educating YOUR self to CHOOSE a NEW way of thinking by reading blogs here or watch the video's at whyquit.com OR whatever YOU decide to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER

elvan

Read, read, read, and read some more.  Stay close to the site, keep busy, TALK about what you are doing, I reached out to perfect strangers, seriously.  I quit so many times unsuccessfully that I lost count.  This site saved my quit AND my life.  I came here every morning and every evening and I will have six years on January 19th, I am so glad that I found EX and that I stayed here.

Welcome.

Ellen

MartyO

Following....

I'm right behind you.  Quit date:  2-26-2020.  Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes.  Prayers!

0 Kudos