cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Averiesmomma

Which is easier? Cold turkey or with a plan?

I've tried before and never been successful. Maybe for a few weeks but I get around a smoker and I start up again and smoke more. I've done it cold turkey and I've had a plan, used patches, gum, anything you can think of. I need to find the best way to stop and for 

April Hickenbotham
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
Barbscloud

@Averiesmomma Welcome to the Ex.   No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids,  you need to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  I've tried just about everything too.   In addition to some aids for my final quit, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Start your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Use this time leading up to your quit to learn about quitting and researching what is the best way for you.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Lowell

I had quit for 10 years, unfortunately I fell off the wagon, I had used a motivator. I was about to buy my first house. The money I would save from smoking added to the mortgage we were planning, made a big difference in the house we were able to afford. That really helped my mind., I also used the patches. Try to think if there’s something that could help motivate you., I know it’s hard.

maryfreecig

Any method works so long as you take your quit journey as just that--a journey. A lot of folks here at becomeanEx talk about quitting as being a journey not a transaction. Also, try chasing smobriety--sticking to constructive action steps one day at a time. In other words, it's easier to quit if you see your quit as a life time journey but taken one day at a time. If you've tried everything from plans to aids, consider making a commitment to smobriety and staying connected to a quit community.

If this sounds like a lot of work to you, consider what you will get in return--with a lot of hard work you will get the quit you are really looking for. You won't have to wish or hope, you'll know you can do it and with time it gets so much easier.

Quit community, Plan, Time, Smobriety, Hard work = Your success.

Don't allow yourself the comforts of your smoking--choose a brand you hate, smoke less (but not too few while you are planning your quit)---save all your used cigarettes into a clear jar and keep it in the open. Learn all you can about nicotine addiction and recovery from it.

addiction is.jpg

cfdcbdc8f3a5fdd7ad923e6e2c1e360f.jpg

GennaP1975

The first time I quit was when I was pregnant. Had no choice there. Second time was cold turkey and I was good for three years. I have tried cold turkey recently and not so much. It is ok to ask for help. 

npelezo9

I was prepared the first time I quit for two years. Due to family issues and life, whoops. However I just started my quit again. I will tell you it's worth it to be prepared. Preparing to lose your temper, and have a backup plan. Preparing to be anxious on a random day in a random week. Preparing when somebody gives you the ol single finger salute while driving. 

The goal is to prepare every morning. 

Never stop preparing.