cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

dudley87

What’s the point of smoke aids if....

You just have to withdraw off those too? I mean, I’m thankful for them and happy for my nicorette gum. I haven’t chewed one in 3 days not intentionally yay! and now suddenly feel like I just quit smoking all over again. (I’m on week 7) and finally feeling amazing without all that brain fog crap. Now I’m dizzy and just feeling really yucky. 
I should have tapered off my gum but I don’t want to feel like this again in a few days and just a terrible cycle. Anyways, thanks for reading . I’m just ranting to mainly take my mind off how I feel right now so I don’t chew my gum because I won’t give into this cycle. Also I just finished all the psychological crap of not smoking and feel happy! I kinda felt Down there for a few weeks and binge ate greasy food. Now I’m back into exercising and TRYING to watch what I eat. I’m hard on myself... but it’s the only way I get shit done for myself. 
Ok I’m done, maybe I should go meditate 

Labels (2)
55 Replies
Barbscloud

Do what's good for you. 

Take care.

Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Treehugger85 wrote:

Exactly! Just by them saying that, if we did that, it would force HIS CHOICE down our throats and many MANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY people would never quit because they can't do it. It is too hard on their bodies and minds especially people with mental illness.

People should always consult with their medical professional about their individual situation. This is probably especially true for those with mental illness as some cessation aids could have adverse effects particularly to that population.

Quitting is a personal thing, unique for everyone. What works for one person may not exactly work for the next. The beautiful thing is that there is a lot of experiences here and a wonderful support. 

Advice provided here is not from medical professionals as this is a peer-to-peer support community. I don't think Troutnut1‌ is forcing his solution on anyone. Hopefully dudley87‌ can read everything here and make a decision for themselves along with their medical professionals.

Barbscloud wrote:

Agree everyone "should' choose there own path and not be influenced by people who believe cold turkey is the only way.  Obviously you're  against NRT.   That's your choice; but you're not helping anyone by only presenting the cons and not the pros.

Opinions are just that--they're not necessarily facts. 

Yes, people should choose their own path, this thread alone has multiple different ideas that have been successful! Addressing the pros and cons to each path is helpful. I think that Troutnut1‌ has posted multiple times that people need to choose the right path for them.

Troutnut1 wrote:

Well if we are gonna “should” on people then I would say you should stop selling NRT. Not everyone wants to go that way and people are entitled to differing opinions on it. 

I don't think that Barbscloud‌ it selling NRT.  Solicitation is prohibited. We're not funded by medications or NRT. There are some people who can obtain NRT through their employer as part of a benefit they receive from their employer through our program but that NRT is received for a short period of time to facilitate them quitting. They can choose whether or not to receive the NRT as part of their journey to quit.

NRT worked for her. Medication worked for other people. A combination worked for other people. Alternative therapy worked for other people. Cold Turkey / Smart Turkey worked for other people. Vaping worked for other people. So long as we talk about ourselves and not about others things could be more smooth here. Differing opinions is good. It's what makes this community valuable and vibrant but we must always respect others opinions even if they are different. If someone's opinion isn't valuable, move on to the next thing and you'll probably find something you can identify with.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Troutnut1

I have always been neutral on this because I have had family members use NRTs and it helped them. But as a result of these posts trying to sell NRT’s  I did a little more research. Turns out that more recent studies clearly show Cold Turkey abrupt cessation does work better. I understand that people will try to influence others with whatever was successful for them. But more recent data is clear.

”Cold Turkey” works best for smoking cessation:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5360817/ 

Maybe people should do their own research and pick whatever method they choose. But it should at least include recent studies.

The method chosen is really a very personal choice and none of our business.

I’ve watched people haggle over this for over 20 years now. I don’t care what method people choose. Just don’t smoke.

Barbscloud

There are just as many scientific articles that believe that using an aid is just as effective as cold turkey.   If you're neutral, well you only posted an article supporting cold turkey.  Need more research.  This is exactly my point - people should  do their own research and pick whatever they choose.  That's what I've always supported.  But some promote only their method to quit or scare new quitters away from certain methods by presenting  their biased opinion.

YoungAtHeart

Troutnut1 

What I like about this study is that it is presented by NIH - an organization that doesn't have a horse in the race.  We have NO idea about old studies, who paid for them, if there were biases, etc.

Again - everybody should chose what they think will work best for them.  ALSO - try one way - if it doesn't work well, then try ANOTHER.  Chantix worked for me, personally.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

YoungAtHeart wrote:

Troutnut1 

What I like about this study is that it is presented by NIH - an organization that doesn't have a horse in the race.  We have NO idea about old studies, who paid for them, if there were biases, etc.

Again - everybody should chose what they think will work best for them.  ALSO - try one way - if it doesn't work well, then try ANOTHER.  Chantix worked for me, personally.

YoungAtHeart‌ Thanks for sharing your approach too! 

Troutnut1, Treehugger85 and Barbscloud can we agree that your opinions differ? We must all accept that any advice/opinions offered here are taken without any expectation that they'll be used. Undoubtedly posts are read by lurkers and maybe a breakthrough on their journey to quit. They might not even reply but your posts, each unique from each other make this site valuable.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Are you kidding me.   The whole point is this isn't about opinions.  It's about facts. 

0 Kudos
Troutnut1

Well I WAS neutral. But not anymore. You can expect an alternative point of view (CT) going forward.

Here is a start:

20 years ago today I quit smoking 3.5 packs a day by going cold turkey. More people have quit using this method than all other quit methods combined. Recent studies support this. Nothing to buy. Nothing more to get addicted to. Nothing else to blame or do wrong. Nothing to remember to take or have with you. It has a 100% success rate provided you don’t take that FIRST puff.

Deal with it. That’s my story. 

Treehugger85

So let me ask you something mister trout!!! ARE YOU A MEDICAL DOCTOR? ARE YOU A PSYCHIATRIST?

I majored in psychiatry in college.  

Do you know what can happen, not always, but can happen to someone with mental illness if they just quit cold turkey?  Some can relapse very difficult.  Especially those with mood instability and hallucinations.  It's because nicotine, as we all know, plays with chemicals in the brain. This is also why we give aid's in hospitals, to help them yes not smoke but also so they don't relapse. When they come in a hospital, most of the time they are already having a psychotic episode.  With cold turkey we see a lot of people needing a higher dose of the medication that worked just fine before.  Yes I want to quit, yes we want everyone to quit!  You just need to be careful with some people.

People with

Bipolar can rapid cycle and hallucinate which can be a danger to themselves and others.

Schizophrenics can show an increase in auditory and visual hallucinations.

Such as cases with multiple personality disorder and borderline personality disorder it can show an increase in the frequency of symptoms.

Depression, occasionally increases in intensity and this can cause some problems if not treated right away.

If you do not stop this of telling everyone oh oh oh oh oh oh BUT A STUDY!!!  You do not know everyone's issues nor mental illnesses and if you do this in real life, they do, and you just keep telling them keep going keep going keep going. If unfortunately they do do something to themselves or it looks like it and they can put 2 and 2 together.  If it can be proven in a court of law, in some states, you can be tried for a form of murder because you are not a doctor! Not always but because you kept telling them to keep going and didn't take them to the doctor and didn't tell them this isn't working you need to get help for this, that can be an accessory.

This is why cold turkey does NOT work for everyone trout, at all. Sorry but you're cold turkey is the only way is really all in your head! It really is all in your head.  1 study DOES NOT prove that it is true for EVERYONE!

Treehugger85

Or do you not believe in mental illness either? Do you believe they can quit just as easy as everyone including you!

0 Kudos