cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Wieswoman31

What has helped you quit?

I am currently on Chantex. I have cut back my smoking from a pack of cigarettes a day to 2-3. My downfall is stress. What do you do in place of one if you are stressed?  I am going to be having surgery in a few weeks and want to be able to say that I quit!

Toni
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Wieswoman31 

Don't hesitate to also reach out to the EX Coaches as you prepare for your surgery they can discuss stress with you as well. Congrats on taking steps towards being quit.

You can read others' posts about stress here:  Search | keyword "stress" - EX Community  

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Make a diversion list--all the things you are willing to do other than smoke. One of the strongest supports in quitting is knowing that you are changing your behavior--that takes work--so being prepared with a list of to-dos will help you in those moments when you feel the urge, have a trigger etc.  Sticking with Ex, planning, working your plan will help you overcome obstacles. 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 9.34.24 PM.pngmaryfreecig_0-1672683892817.jpeg20220808_163610.jpg

Barbscloud

@Wieswoman31 Sorry I missed this.  First of all remind you're already doing a great job by prepping for you quit and cutting down.  You know will be a success on the 25th.

I suspect stress has probably been the number one trigger for most smokers.  It's something we encounter in our lives everyday.   Early in your quit, it has helped many of us to keep busy.  Distract your hands and your mind.   If you're able, walking is a great way to refocus your thinking, relieve stress and get a boost of dopamine.  I would just walk out the door and walk for a few blocks numerous times throughout the day.

I don't forget about doing your breathing exercises.  They can help in so many areas of our lives.

Barbscloud_4-1677087570306.gif

Stay close and don't be afraid to reach out if you need support. You don't have to do this alone.

Again, consider taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay accountable to yourself and receive and give support.

Hugs

Barb

@Wieswoman31 I found Big Red gum to be really helpful when stressed.  It has the hand to mouth connection but it also kind of has a “fiery taste” - much better for me than a bubble gum or something fruity.  Also, getting moving - a walk, riding a bike, working out have been so helpful!! And surprisingly, I didn’t expect the blogging to be so helpful but it is!! My husband knows now if I am really stressed or have a bad craving, I need to go blog about it and just blurt out all my thoughts here.  I can’t wait and do it later - I need to stop what I’m doing and blog right away in a quiet place.  It is so helpful.

Good luck!  I’m rooting for you! 

Snowdoggie

@Wieswoman31 @Celery and carrots sticks with a refreshing dip, Twizzlers and straws cut to the size of cigs to "smoke" off the stress, long hot baths, cold showers, snapping a rubberband on my wrist. Laughing out loud at the stress. It doesn't need to be funny - just laugh, it will help. Meditation. These are a few things. Come here and blog and get support. Check out the "blogs/journal" area of this site. Wishing you success and best wishes for your surgery