cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

andy3

Wellbutrin

I have been distancing myself from my triggers for the last few days. I haven't set a quit date yet, but I think I would like to use one of the non-nicotine meds.
I keep hearing about Chantix's terrible side-effects. I don't see anything on the forums about Wellbutrin.
Has anybody tried it?

THX,
andy
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jaded

Common Wellbutrin Side Effects

To my knowledge most all medications come with some risk of side effects, my mother tried it and it made her sick to her stomach. No problems with Chantix for me, 3 days smoke free!

Good luck to you!! 😃
0 Kudos
sharon45

Andy,

I quit, as did my husband, before finding this great web resource. We both used Chantix and neither of us had any noticeable side effects. I can't speak highly enough about how valuable Chantix was in helping me quit. I had quit years ago before I had children and then, after 10 years went back ugh! I smoked for three years and really wanted to quit. I kept waiting for my husband to quit with me but finally bit the bullet, started the Chantix and after 10 days took the plunge. Even though he continued to smoke for about 3 weeks after I quit I found the Chantix really helped curb my urges. Even after Sunday breakfast when, while having our coffee, he lit a cigarette. I was still cool... I urge you to give it a try. And best of luck!!!
0 Kudos
denverdeb

chantix is awesome... wellbutrin gave me more of the "blues" than chantix did and if you dont quit on exactly the day it prescribes, it WILL wear off and you can just keep smoking, so make sure to follow the directions. I am on day 10, and still chugging. the cravings are SO much more bearable than with anything else I have tried, so now I can just deal with the mental stuff (which is hard enough.) 🙂 good luck with whatever route you choose. deb
0 Kudos
cani

I tried Wellbutrin once before (7 years ago ) with no side effects. Had no problem quitting but like an idiot thought I could smoke one to see what it was like again. Just got another prescription today.
0 Kudos
jayne3

Cani, What did you take in the Wellbutrin? I got a script for 150xl. It gave me a bad headache. I felt it was helping
the cravings. I took Chantix for 5 months & felt I needed something to give me additional support after quitting the
Chantix. So scared of starting smoking again.. Then the Dr. gave me 100 mg. plain Wellbutrin. I thought it made me
very nervous. Haven't had anything since last week but my mood is awful. I have no patience. I was looking for something to help this. Did you have any side effects from the Wellbutrin at all? I thought maybe if I tried again, I would
adjust to it. Would appreciate hearing from you on this.. Thanks.. jayne
0 Kudos
rob17

I quit using Wellbutrin (Zyban) in combination with the patch. The only side effect that was annoying was insomnia. This time, I'm using Chantix with very few side effects (certainly none as bad as those of smoking cigarettes) and I'm on day 11.

The side effects I have had on Chantix include being tired in the afternoons. I've always been careful to eat before taking it, because I forgot once and was pretty nauseous for a while (until I ate something). But I wouldn't call any of the side effects I've had "terrible".

Hope this helps!
Rob
0 Kudos
cani

Jane, sorry I didn't see your post till today. I got a prescription for 100 mg SR and took it for four days. I didn't like the effects of it this time. The first three days I felt like I was stoned which is not a bad thing (grin) except I didn't feel like doing much of anything. On the fourth day I felt the same as you , kinda nervous or agitated. I haven't been on it for almost a month so I thought I would try it again. I don't understand why it worked so well for me when I took it seven years ago. It made it so easy to quit back then. I keep reading all these great results with Chantix but I am deathly afraid to take it with all the bad side effects I am reading about. I'm not so worried about being sick or the dreams as I am about some of the serious stuff that is coming out about it as time goes on.
0 Kudos
jayne3

I hope you don't have this side effect but on Chantix & Wellbutrin, my blood pressure rose. I've never read anything on
that. BUT, my dentist mentioned it to me when I first went on the Chantix that it makes your blood pressure rise. I get
headaches when it does, so I'd already checked it & noticed it. It was not unbearable on the Chantix. After a couple days, it settled down to about 10 points over what it usually runs. The headaches ceased. I ate real well when I took the Chantix so experienced very slight nausea a few times. I did have very VIVID dreams.. They were all about people
I had lost that were very close to me. They weren't bad.. It was like I got to see the friends & family I'd lost & all was very peaceful. I was concerned that every dream was about deceased people. So, I contacted Chantix Support & was
told these would fall under the VIVID dreams. They finally wore off after a few weeks. I was not afraid of the side
effects to quit Chantix. I feel it's done so much good not knowing the exact statistics for the bad... But, it seems you see bad in almost any type of mind altering drugs. I always felt if bad came out of it, it was going to happen anyway.
That's just my personal feelings. I did want to take the Wellbutrin after being off the cigarettes for almost 5 months
and also, off the chantix to try to help my mood and deal with any cravings. I had insomnia as Rob did. I was having a bad day yesterday. In walked this 80 lb. woman with her heavy oxygen tank. There was my reminder one of the main
reasons why I quit.. It seems like these reminders fortunately come at a good time. I still need them. One day I think I have this totally whipped. I'm positived I'd never touch another one and the next day can turn things totally around to the worst cravings yet. I quit a couple times over ten years ago. It was my experience then the longer you went the more your forgot why you quit. So, this is wonderful we finally have a support program that we never had before. I'm here for anyone that needs my support as I certainly understand what you are going through.... GOOD LUCK!!!
0 Kudos
evelyn3

I took Zyban (Buproban/Wellbutrin) a couple of years ago. No side effects. Maybe a headache but that is to be expected when you cut off nicotine. I did quit on it for 3 months. But vanity took over... I was eating MASSIVE amounts of food. Gained 30lbs! I basically had to force myself to smoke. I had no urge for a cigarette ever, even around smokers.
I am back on it and so far no side effects, quit date is Monday.
0 Kudos