cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Green4Clean

Tips?

What are some of the things that you guys did to keep yourselves from smoking other than medications? 

Labels (1)
6 Replies

This is what I did....Sleep, drink ice water, organize a room/closet, cleaned, danced, cried, walked.

Here's some more:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2008/05/03/things-to-do-instead-of-smoking 

MichelleDiane

I did use the patch, but I incorporated a lot of other things because I knew that the patch was temporary.  I drank water, chewed spearmint gum, took walks, did my knitting, read books, watched movies, etc.  Anything except smoke.  I also came to this site multiple times a do.  I still do.  Welcome to the community.

-Michelle

Mandolinrain

Great post!

Prayer

Drank tons water

Walking

Gardening

Cleaning every drawer out and closet in the house and lining them all

Painted near every room also

Played my instruments at Senior center with friends to help my skills and cheer up others 

Used Vicks Vapor Rub

Got involved with some fund raisers

Painted

knitted

Entertained Grandkids...that keeps ya busy

Came to EX

maryfreecig

I braced myself mentally for what mental pain might come from craving a cigarette as a result of the habit/addiction. I decided (planning ahead) that I had to say no everytime the thought might come to mind. I made a stay busy list. But once I quit, not only did I follow somethings on the list, I had to wing it and search for more, including helpful youtube videos (no gimmicks, no easy way to quit, just the truth videos). Did I know that I would follow my resolve to say no? No!!! But I set out with strong intentions, weak knees. Still it worked. Help from other quitters (such as Ex) is invaluable. 

Ate 6 to 7 small meals a day. Drank Cranberry juice like it was going out of style. Cleaned every nook and cranny in the house. Pencil drawings. Writing essays. Brushed my  teeth frequently, long walks and work outs. Mindfulness meditation. Prayer. work. Read everything I could get my hands on about Nicotine Addiction and Recovery.

elvan

I made a commitment to BREATHING and to not forcing my family to watch me commit suicide.  I slowed the progress of my COPD but it's not going anywhere.  Exercise, ice water, Sour Patch kids, frozen cherries and blueberries, cleaning and organizing, and EX. EX, EX...I came here every morning and every evening and I try very hard to come here every day even after over four years of freedom. Education about nicotine addiction, commitment, support, and connection with others who were either ahead of me, behind me, or right next to me.  READ, READ, READ!

Welcome to EX,

Ellen