cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

CH11-30-20

Thoughts of wanting a smoke after quitting

Hi. This is my first post. I’ve been quit for 70 days as of today. I was a smoker on and off (mostly on) for probably around 15 years. In 2013 I became more of a regular smoker after I befriended someone I met during a work break. We would hang out a lot and smoking would just be something we would do. And honestly, I slowly became a functioning alcoholic while my mom was dying, and then passed away from cancer in 2011. There were other stressors in my life that contributed too at the time. My alcoholism got a bit worse as time went on. 

I quit smoking for a variety of reasons. I had tried before over the course of 3 years. I would think about quitting more and more as I got older. This time I quit because I was concerned for my future health, because of I was afraid of catching COVID, and because I developed GERD (acid reflux- smoking and drinking are triggers). I also felt that I had some shortness of breath while climbing stairs. That was never and issue for me before. Also, smoking and drinking went hand in hand. I would not smoke unless I was drinking coffee, or drinking alcohol. I drank more as I was furloughed for almost 4 months in the spring and summer.

I wanted to stop drinking so much too, and I knew if I quit, I would decrease that addiction at the same time. So I quit cigarettes November 30, and have barely had any alcohol since. 2 a week, if any at all. My GERD got much better over time— it’s almost gone. I lost 15 pounds which I attribute to the significant decrease in alcohol, and changing my diet because of the GERD. 

I broke up with my boyfriend of a year last week. He was a little bit of a bully. I suffer from depression, and it got worse during the pandemic and while I was with this person. I’m actually less depressed and feeling more confident with myself just a week into being single. I bought a 6 pack of hard cider on the day of my break up. I’d have one every day until it was done. I thought of smoking while drinking them maybe a few times. Not too bad I guess.

A few days before my break up, I hung out with the friend I mentioned above for the first time since I quit. We went for a walk and he smoked a few times. It was maybe the first time I smelled cigarette smoke after quitting, and then craved smoking myself. After learning that my ex was talking garbage about me last Saturday, I felt like having a cigarette. I didn’t buy any. And now that I’m feeling more or less good, I think of wanting a cigarette as well for some reason. I know I will regret it if I do, so I haven’t done anything about it. Hopefully I won’t ever.

I have thought, what if I just bum one from someone in the future if I feel like having one? Will I become hooked again? I used to think I enjoyed it for the most part. I wonder if bumming one would feel enjoyable, or just feel gross. I’d probably feel really guilty in the end, so I’m going to try my very best and think about NOPE. Plus, I’d have to change my username to this website as I quit on 11-30-20. Ha. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
34 Replies
CH11-30-20

Thank you for your comment, and congratulations on 8 years! 

Christine, you are doing really well so don’t go backward. Imagine having to go through it all over again. It wasn’t fun. Don’t give up the days you have! Those days you have you earned and they’re like precious babies! Treat them like it. When I crave I bring out images of what will happen to me in the future if I don’t keep my quit: lung cancer, COPD like emphysema and I see myself carrying an oxygen tank everywhere. Those images squash my cravings or at least keep them checked. Just let the cravings pass. Focus on something else. 

As for drinking, I know a bit about it. I’m over six years sober. Drinking and smoking certainly go hand in hand. My excessive drinking started the death of my sister from cancer, also. After I got sober, I realized that alcoholics don’t need reasons to over drink. We’ll find any reason to drink. I won’t assume I know your situation but I want to tell you that I went on for years as a functional alcoholic until I wasn’t functional anymore. It is a progressive disease and will kill. 

I wanted to quit smoking when I stopped drinking but I knew it would be way too difficult. Covid came and I thought six years is plenty time and it’s a good time as any to quit so I did. I now have over three months smoke free. 

You sound like a young person. You’re ahead of the game. Your body can recover from the damage you’ve done. Doctors say lungs are the only organ that can’t go back to its original state but the only thing you can do to help your lungs is NOT SMOKE! (I’ve just been to the pulmonologist.)

Also, love yourself. I’m a mother of two girls and my heart breaks that someone would mistreat you. Always remember: no one has that right to mistreat you and don’t give them that option! You are God’s precious child and your parent’s. Walk away from those who don’t give you the respect. Accepting abuse can also become a habit. Don’t go there! Say to yourself: I deserve to be treated with respect and kindness. 

Stay strong in your quit and stay close to this forum. Read other people’s stories. You can learn from their mistakes  

CH11-30-20

Thanks so much for your wisdom and encouragement! And I really appreciated your nurturing words about loving myself... I’m actually learning more about how to do that these days, and it’s nice to be reminded. Thanks again, and congratulations on your sobriety and being smoke free for over 3 months!

0 Kudos
green1611

Congratulations for 70 plus days without nicotine !

Between alcohol and nicotine, later is more dangerous for quitting.. this what I read. (I do not consume alcohol )

I suggest you stay away from both..... 70 days is great achievement. Thoughts of smoking will come, why not? it will keep coming, cravings will be there, and strong desire to have alcohol + cigarettes ! Yes, but you know you quit cigarette ... so any thing attributable to strong desire to smoke must be eliminated during first few months !!! YES including alcohol.

I had addiction of tea/coffee with cigarette. So when I quit smoking, I almost stopped drinking tea/coffee for few months !  it worked for me !

All the best ! bravo ....

CH11-30-20

Thank you, and for your reply! As of now it’s been 79 days! Yeah, I’ll definitely have to be careful with alcohol from now on. I’m ok with that. I don’t have much desire to drink since I’m not smoking anymore, and I don’t really go out or see many people because of covid. I actually replaced smoking and coffee with tea. And lots of tea through the day as something instead of cigarettes. I drink less tea now, but that really helped. Thanks again!

indingrl

CONGRATS nicotine free - Yahoooooo - GOOD JOB

CH11-30-20

Haha, thanks! I looked at my stats, and with an average of 7 cigarettes a day, I’ve avoided over 500 so far. Kind of amazing how much that adds up! I never thought about it cumulatively. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Congrats on 79 days.

Image result for well done gif

Barb

elvan

How are you doing? 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I had my doubts, second thoughts, but I kept steaming ahead and by doing that I faced many curve balls--never needed to smoke--but I know it's just for today. Sounds like you are completely dedicated to your quit even when your life gets complicated!  Way to go!