cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

CH11-30-20

Thoughts of wanting a smoke after quitting

Hi. This is my first post. I’ve been quit for 70 days as of today. I was a smoker on and off (mostly on) for probably around 15 years. In 2013 I became more of a regular smoker after I befriended someone I met during a work break. We would hang out a lot and smoking would just be something we would do. And honestly, I slowly became a functioning alcoholic while my mom was dying, and then passed away from cancer in 2011. There were other stressors in my life that contributed too at the time. My alcoholism got a bit worse as time went on. 

I quit smoking for a variety of reasons. I had tried before over the course of 3 years. I would think about quitting more and more as I got older. This time I quit because I was concerned for my future health, because of I was afraid of catching COVID, and because I developed GERD (acid reflux- smoking and drinking are triggers). I also felt that I had some shortness of breath while climbing stairs. That was never and issue for me before. Also, smoking and drinking went hand in hand. I would not smoke unless I was drinking coffee, or drinking alcohol. I drank more as I was furloughed for almost 4 months in the spring and summer.

I wanted to stop drinking so much too, and I knew if I quit, I would decrease that addiction at the same time. So I quit cigarettes November 30, and have barely had any alcohol since. 2 a week, if any at all. My GERD got much better over time— it’s almost gone. I lost 15 pounds which I attribute to the significant decrease in alcohol, and changing my diet because of the GERD. 

I broke up with my boyfriend of a year last week. He was a little bit of a bully. I suffer from depression, and it got worse during the pandemic and while I was with this person. I’m actually less depressed and feeling more confident with myself just a week into being single. I bought a 6 pack of hard cider on the day of my break up. I’d have one every day until it was done. I thought of smoking while drinking them maybe a few times. Not too bad I guess.

A few days before my break up, I hung out with the friend I mentioned above for the first time since I quit. We went for a walk and he smoked a few times. It was maybe the first time I smelled cigarette smoke after quitting, and then craved smoking myself. After learning that my ex was talking garbage about me last Saturday, I felt like having a cigarette. I didn’t buy any. And now that I’m feeling more or less good, I think of wanting a cigarette as well for some reason. I know I will regret it if I do, so I haven’t done anything about it. Hopefully I won’t ever.

I have thought, what if I just bum one from someone in the future if I feel like having one? Will I become hooked again? I used to think I enjoyed it for the most part. I wonder if bumming one would feel enjoyable, or just feel gross. I’d probably feel really guilty in the end, so I’m going to try my very best and think about NOPE. Plus, I’d have to change my username to this website as I quit on 11-30-20. Ha. 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
34 Replies
CH11-30-20

Thanks Ellen for your advice!

DavesTime

Thinking about smoking is not the same as actually smoking.  And I think there is a difference between thinking about smoking and romanticizing smoking.  All your reasons for quitting are very valid.  There are a LOT of downsides to inhaling a toxic, carcinogenic substance.  I thought about smoking a lot, especially when I first quit. I occasionally still think about a cigarette, especially when I get stressed. The difference is, I don't ACT on it.  I know that every single time when I had quit in the past and gave in and had one, I ended up smoking again. Every.single.time. I don't NEED one now, and neither do you. You quit!  Hold on to your freedom and remember why you quit, Christine.  Glad you posted!

CH11-30-20

Thanks for reading my post, for your words, wisdom, and sharing a little bit of your experience!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 70 days.  Thanks sharing your quit journey with us.  We're here for you if you need support--just reach out.

Barb

CH11-30-20

Thanks Barb!

0 Kudos
Christine13

Congratulations on your quit, both.  I also have a problem with drinking and smoking.

CH11-30-20

Thanks, Christine! And for sharing your struggle with both vices too. I’m going to send you a private message. 

Troutnut1

Multiple addictions are know medically as “comorbidity”. In my case it was nicotine, alcohol, and co-dependency. It is common. Addiction is like a multi-headed dragon. Kill one head, and another head or two pop up to take its place. I knew smoking was killing me so I tried for maybe a decade to quit unsuccessfully. Drinking always led me back to that FIRST puff. Finally, I got it. I joined AA 11/21/1998 because I finally understood that I couldn’t quit drinking or smoking without help. It worked. It took losing my AA sponsor to lung cancer to make my final cigarette quit on 2/28/2001. Along the path I also discovered I was co-dependent and dealt with that through Alanon. What a ride!

For addicts like me, there are no such things as slips. I have to stay away from that FIRST drink and that FIRST puff. I am either in recovery or I have relapsed. And relapse is a truly life-threatening event. Nicotine and Alcoholism are both considered terminal diseases. Smoking was the more efficient killer and I now have severe emphysema. But alcohol is what led me back time and time again. Its a package deal for me. 

Still, I was lucky. My sponsor wasn’t so lucky. Every time we take a drink, or take a puff, it’s like playing Russian Roulette. I hope you can stop playing soon.

Your friend in Montana

Troutnut1-dennis6A14B77A-B6B2-4125-A4C8-59CB1E2B3F31.jpeg

CH11-30-20

Thanks so much for sharing your story. 

CrazyQuitter

It's amazing how alcohol can go side by side with smoking. Thank you for posting. This was an eye opening for me. 

I am 8 years smoke free. Still working on the alcohol part.