cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Melysjim

Struggle is real

It has been a journey several times throughout the years of trying to quit smoking. I had a health scare that made me say this is enough, No more smoking. I now have told my children who come over to visit daily and yes smoke to not to give me a cigarette even if I beg for one. If you can't do that then just call me and talk to me on the phone. It so far has been good. Even Christmas with every one here not once did I go outside with them to smoke. Lord only knows I wanted to really bad. I just kept reminding myself of my scare and yes got my lozenge out. Which by the way comes in spearmint and cinnamon flavors. Cinnamon being my favorite just because the spearmint gives me the burps which I will continue to deal with as long as it helps me not smoke. The lozenges doesn't really help with the mood swings or agitation that comes on quickly and doesn't leave as quickly. So any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
23 Replies
Melysjim

Thank you. I have been doing the lozenges and know I can't keep them going forever. I often wonder since a co-worker had quit several years ago and she still chews the gum. I hope I can kick the lozenges after awhile. I also don't want to be carrying a oxygen tank around with me. I 'm a nurse and see the struggles with the ones with COPD or other lung issues

0 Kudos
elvan

I am a retired nurse & I AM carrying a portable oxygen concentrator with me...between that & a mask, l get so short of breath that l nearly panic. I dreaded caring for COPD patients because they were so anxious & there was often nothing l could do to help. Of course, it didn’t stop me from smoking anymore than the young patients who had heart attacks or strokes or were diagnosed with cancer.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Gai.C

elvan. My Mother passed away in 2011. I continued to smoke until 2017 I'm a slow learner.  Can't cry over spilled milk Just move forward right 

Gai.C

Strength.jpg

arubablue

Ive been a smoker for 50 years.  quit once way back and made it through 4 years.  The first few months were horrific, even with nrt. I set a date for january 1st to stop.  I know exactly how you feel.  everything your feeling is how I felt.  agitated, but more depressed than anything.  I felt like I lost my best friend.  Didnt wanna see anyone, talk to anyone, just wanted to crawl under the covers..Al few things helped me, but it took some time.  eventually your brain will forget to remind you its time for a smoke.  I counted to 10 every time which was all the time in the beginning!  I chewed on straws, gum, hard candies.  took a knitting class to keep my hands busy.  your doing great!  your agitated because the brain isnt getting what its had and it wants it, it remembers.  walks will help too, even a few short ones when you really feel awful.  we got this!

Melysjim

Yes you are correct with losing your best friend. My cigarettes was there for me when I was angry, sad, and happy. To say goodbye to what seems like a life time  friend of smoking is hard. It has been 6 days since I last smoked. I did do the stair challenge and its a little better going up the stairs and not being so short of breath. I did like the idea of the stair challenge. It really showed me how much my breathing has improved since quitting and its only been 6 days. Can't wait to see what I do on stairs in another week. I'm hoping the tiredness wears off also. I have always been a burst of energy and not to feel like doing anything does drive me a little crazy.  I know this also shall pass in time. I just have to learn patience.

0 Kudos
Trisha76

Angry emotions you need to watch out for. In my mind they are the most dangerous!  I only went to my cigarettes when I experience anger. I would tell my husband I’m going to go have a cigarette so I can calm down! Oh I was so stupid.  You have to sit with the emotion  and applied your tools to get you thru it.  Too easy to say to hell with it when you are angry.

indingrl

CONGRATULATIONS on nicotine freedom - I say these OUR loud and I use then when crave hits OR emotional upheaveal OR OLD mindset of SELF pitt - I say n.o.p.e. Not One Puff Ever and I say Smoking Is Not An Option - s.i.n.a.o. - I say I don't smoke anymore - I pray tge Serenity Prayer - I am so glad YOUR here

Just sharing that it HELPED ME and I hope it HELPS YOU

Trisha76

I love the serenity prayer!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Sorry I missed your post a few days ago.  Congrats on your quit and your first Christmas smoke free-that's a success.   We're here for you--if you need support just reach out.   How is going?

Here's some information on nicotine replacement.  Hope you find it helpful.  It's important to follow the instructions.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/Barbscloud/blog/2020/02/01/nicotine-replacement-wrong-or-r... 

Barb

0 Kudos