cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Dhanrahan

Stopping welbutrin and chantix

Hello All,

I am wondering when in your quit do you start tapering and/or removing welbutrin and chantix and safely remain smoke free?

What has worked for you folks?

6 Replies
Barbscloud

@Dhanrahan  Welcome to the EX. and congrats on your decision to quit.  I believe you're the first person I've seen taking both.  Have you quit yet?  You should follow the instructions for both which will be different. You begin the Welbutrin while while you're still smoking.

Barb

Dhanrahan

Actually I had been taking the welbutrin first for a couple years and didn't taper smoking enough to fully quit- first we increased the welbutrin but then I couldn't sleep. So we reduced the welbutrin and waited a couple months and I've been on chantix for about 3 months- during that time I had quit for a week , smoke a pack over a week, quit for another week, smoke a pack over a week and a half ( by this time smoking did nothing for me) so now I have been clean for about 8 days. I know it's too soon to change much now but looking to the future wondering how that works

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Dhanrahan I took Chantix years ago, not for this quit.  I didn't do it that way, but I'm reading there are 3 ways to take Chantix.  

Fixed Quit Approach

Start taking CHANTIX,

and quit after a week.

FLEXIBLE QUIT APPROACH

Start taking CHANTIX,

then pick a quit date within a month from the date you start.

GRADUAL QUIT APPROACH

Start taking CHANTIX,

and gradually reduce smoking to quit
within 12 weeks.

Sounds like maybe the gradual approach was what you were following.  If that's the case sounds like you're on track.
That important thing to remember is that any aid, is just that, an aid. We still have to do the work. Have you been reading material on the site to learn about nicotine and have a quit plan in place.  That includes identifying triggers, tools to use, new associations instead of smoking, etc.  This link is a great place to start.

Eight days is a fabulous success.  You've already completed hell week. They're will be ups and downs, which is normal for most quitters.   The psychological part of quitting takes longer. That's why knowledge and preparation are key.

What are you doing now when you have a crave?   Walking is a great way to refocus and get an added boost of dopamine.

We're here to support you.  I know how much that support contributed to my success. Stay close and reach out anytime we can help.
Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

@Barbscloud It did not appear to me that they were taking both.  I think is it is just one question entailing two items. @Dhanrahan   I think each individual is different.  I made a conscience decision when I would discontinue use. 90 days to be exact.  Others wait until the medication cause them to no longer crave.  You doctor could help you in how long you should use it  they write the RX

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@JACKIE1-25-15  Think he/she is taking both?   "Actually I had been taking the welbutrin first for a couple years and didn't taper smoking enough to fully quit- first we increased the welbutrin but then I couldn't sleep. So we reduced the welbutrin and waited a couple months and I've been on chantix for about 3 months- during that time I had quit for a week ,"

0 Kudos
Dhanrahan

Yes- I am taking both but as you indicated I am asking what others have done.  Here are some links about duo therapy- they have found it can be more effective with the initial quit and staying quit the first year but after the first year the percentage of folks who restart evens out-

Combination therapy of varenicline and bupropion in smoking cessation: A meta-analysis of the random...

Drug Duo Might Help Smokers Quit Better Than Single Med - Consumer Health News | HealthDay

For clinical trial info-

Varenicline and bupropion sustained-release combination therapy for smoking cessation - PubMed

0 Kudos