cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

ShadGetRight

Staying Active

I noticed the more active I am the less I think about cigarettes. 

Labels (1)
3 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @ShadGetRight keeping your mind as well as your hands occupied really does help, I also drank a lot of water and still plus I'd chomp on carrots and celery sticks and I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of any unforseen cravings  stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@ShadGetRight Welcome to the Ex and congrats on the first day of your journey.  Many of us have found keeping busy is a great distraction.  Whether it's cleaning the house or exercising.  Walking is a great way to refocus your thought when a craving hits and you get an added boost of dopamine lost from quitting.

It's not to late to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addiction to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many of us on the the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Barbscloud_0-1675862359861.png

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

You can also get that hit of dopamine from exercise and activity.  You used to get that from a cigarette, so replace it with something else.  So yes, stay as active as is possible for you.  Exercise or movement is a great escape/distraction/delay.  

0 Kudos