cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

MimiLee7

Quitting tomorrow

Tomorrow is my quit date! May 1st! I'm excited but nervous! I would love advice on how to get thru the withdrawals. Thank you 😊 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @MimiLee7 you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE! Please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb its not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way! Tomorrow you will turn your DAY ONE INTO DAY WON with many more to come stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can you've got this believe it! I chomped on carrots and celery sticks which helped me through some pretty rough times and I kept a bag of sugar free mints around in case of any unforseen cravings plus I drank alot of water and still do! 

Barbscloud

@MimiLee7 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on the first day of your quit.

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

Right now, you're working through the process of your desire to quit and the addiction wanting you to keep it up. You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Walking and deep breathing exercises are a great way to deal with withdrawal symptoms.

Barbscloud_1-1682944868318.gif

We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

@MimiLee7   Very smart decision.  Hopefully, you have made plans for what to do with the urges.  I have heard all kinds of things:  jolly ranchers, gum, cold water, bite a lemon (rind and all).  I am sure you will come up with your favorites.  I read alot about the addiction and watched countless videos before I set my quit date.  I crochet so I did start a (easy) project.  I was gonna tackle a more difficult project, but those first few days I just didn't have the patience to learn, so I did something easy....to keep the hands busy.  Look around the site, there is so much information here.

0 Kudos

• @MimiLee7 Congrats on your decision to quit! I’m cheering for you!
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@MimiLee7  Congrats on Day Won. I'm so excited for you.

Stay close!

Barb

0 Kudos