cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

pat3

Please respond

I have been on Chantix for w weeks. I can not sleep, have started smoking again and am VERY VERY VERY DEPRESSED. I can not relax, crying all the time. I thought it was the withdrawal from cigarettes, so I smoked one. Apparently that is not it. I am still just as depressed. I have a history of depression anyway. Other than going off the Chantix- which I plan to do, any ideas?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
libby

I've heard there are some bad side effect like deep depression and you should talk to your Dr. I know, you can't run to your Dr for every little thing, but sounds like the Chantix can be dangerous for some people. I took it with no problems, but I am glad that you have stopped it. I took a prescribed sleeping med before chantix so I was OK with the sleep thing, but seems to affect everyone else. Don't take the Chantix, find another way to quit. Have you read the Alan Carr book?
0 Kudos
patty3

Pat,

Please go to your Doctor right away. They say if you already are prone to depression the Chantix can make it worse. I was having problems sleeping so only take it in the morning. The depression I am sure is made worse by not being able to sleep. Having some cravings but I just can't smoke anymore. It is past time for me to be a quitter.

Hope it all works out for you.

Remember even if you can't take Chantix you can still quit smoking. Be strong.
0 Kudos
miriam3

what ideas are you looking for? you state you are going off the chantix so your mind is made up. the best idea I can give you is to stop making excuses and grow up.
0 Kudos
pat3

Thanks for the encouragement
0 Kudos
pat3

Sorry, I forgot to direct my reply, Thanks, miriam
0 Kudos
miriam3

my reply may seem or it was a bit harsh. that was not my intention but after a while after quitting you develop an eye for excuses. do not give up. do not quit the chantix. if you feel you are overwhelmed see your doctor.
0 Kudos
bike-run-hike

Don't jump off the Chantix too quickly. Remember that the Chantix can cause sleeplessness. Get valerian. Take your "evening dose" by 3 PM. Try to go to bed by no later than ten PM. You need to be drinking juice too.REAL juice is best but the next best thing is simply orange grove made high pulp. The natural sugar will give you a quick boost, then it will slow you down and help you rest. Your body needs the extra c. Calcium too, with D. I tried the Chantix once before. It didn't work. It didn't work because I coudln't get my head together enough to realize that the panic attacks I was having was the Chantix and KNOWING THAT FACT, makes it so I can control them.You can do this! Just because you slipped does not mean that you have failed! You have not failed. PLEASE read my page. It will help. You can email me. I wish I could give you my telelphone number. I don't know how to do that without it being posted for everyone, or I would. DON'T give up! SAY THIS TO YOURSELF! I want to live a long healthy productive life. I AM A NON SMOKER. WE ALL ARE. WE HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO SMOKE. I CAN UNTRAIN MYSELF. I WILL NO LONGER BE BRAINWASHED> PLEASE IMMEDIATELY READ MY PAGE I am praying for you right now. I will do that all during the day too if you would like. Just say the word...
0 Kudos
miriam3

great reply!!! you said it all
0 Kudos
cynthia5

Please go see your Doc or mental health worker and talk about what the real problem is.
And remember you can try again and again till you get it right.
maybe your Doc can give you somthing to help you sleep and to help with your depression.
good luck and let us know how your doing
BIG HUGS
0 Kudos