cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Please help with conflicting info!

OK, so I'm trying to get my head around something & maybe some of you guys can help. One of the problems I'm finding as I read up on quitting is there is so much conflicting information. I just finished Allen Carr's "Easy Way" and now I'm very confused about whether or not to use the patch. So I tried to read up more on it. Some articles cite very high success rates with Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), while other articles say that those who use NRT have a much higher rate of relapse. I want to do this, I'm ready to do this, & I want to be successful at being a non smoker. I'm just trying to get some feedback from all of you who have succeeded. NRT or cold turkey - combat the physical in the three days or get the psychological hand to mouth under control while slowly tapering off the nicotine? I'm so confused. And I'm sure some of you may ask - I currently smoke between 20-30 cigarettes a day. Thank you for any help!! #tonrtornot‌ #nrt‌ #informationconfusion‌ #coldturkey

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

The number one most important thing is to make up your mind to quit.  Lots of differing opinions here too on the best way.  I used the patch - that helped me.  I also read the Alan Carr book and used his advise to learn to think differently about quitting.  Lots of successful quitters here - some cold turkey, some NRT, and some used prescription meds such as Wellbutrin or Chantix.  Do what feels right for you!  And best wishes!

YoungAtHeart

You need first to understand the SOURCE of the success rates.  If they come from the product makers, they are skewed from THAT perspective.  I have found that scientists, most doctors and  researchers have little good information - because they haven't been through the experience and are trusting biased studies, as well.  The success rate for YOU is determined by YOU.  If you educate yourself, prepare, plan and COMMIT to never smoke another cigarette no matter what, you WILL be successful!

Once you understand all that, it's time to choose what you think is best for you.  This is not a one-size fits all choice.

You will find people here who have been successful going cold turkey, using patches, and taking Chantix or Welbutrin.  I took Chantix, had no side effects, and I believe it helped me.   I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort for a craving. I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire.

Nothing is going to quit FOR you.  Once you fully understand your addiction, you can choose what you think is right for you.  Sorry to not be more specific in my recommendations, but each person IS different.

Nancy

it's a personal thing.  Some believe that cold turkey is the only way.  Some believe NRTs are the way to go.  I tried to quit cold turkey and just was not for me, I couldn't do it.  Now, any NRT, no matter what it is, will not take the physical symptoms away.  Those hang around for 2 weeks to a month.  Each week they get lesser in strength.  Not so intense.  Only you know what will work for you.  My advice would be to try to quit cold turkey.  If it's too much, then I would go to the patch.  Some like the inhalers and gum, but I think that still enforces the hand to mouth every  time the craving hits you or you have simply a thought of smoking in your second month.  Because after the physical, it's all mental.  The first 30 days can be rough.  Some people don't have any problem at all.  Quitting can be so frustrating because there are no precise answers.  you have to find what works for you.  Hop on JonesCarpeDiem‌ page and read his featured content or hop on mine and read my featured content.  Several others have information pages to welcome new members or just people that want more info on what it's like to quit.  I never thought I could do it.  I was a steam engine for 43 years puffing away on those things.  I've been quit now for a year and 5 months or so, almost a year and a half.  Use the search engine on here and look up things you are curious about, depression, anxiety, just about anything and everything you want to know about.  Go to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/newbie-quitters?sr=search&searchId=a09c0e2b-0524-4ac9-8eb9...‌ and read some articles there.  Poke around the groups they have on here.  They have some for people suffering from COPD, https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/copd?sr=search&searchId=5004054f-5a20-44c6-a42f-64c2b3a040...‌ group.  Ask questions.  message some members that you feel comfortable with after awhile and ask questions of them also.

I used the patch for 10 days of my first two weeks.Forgot the 3rd day and the following week when I forgot two days in a row, I realized I didn't need it. Listen to your body not your addict mind if you do use it, key the dosage to what you were smoking just before you quit. I was down to 5 a day and mistakenly used the 21mg patch which is equal to a pack because I knew nothing. I only quit one time. I never consider smoking. I just let it go over 10 years back by taking myself out of the psychological addiction with research and study and by asking questions on the site I joined two weeks after I quit..

Try to avoid the gum or lozenges and ecig. Some people use them mindlessly, like whenever they think of smoking and come to be psychologically addicted to them.

/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

elvan

fedupwithunfit  I agree with Nancy, it's probably best to either use a prescription or the patch IF you feel that you need to have something.  I did not use anything but I got so sick that I could not smoke, I could not BREATHE.  My daughter used the patch successfully as have many people here.  Nothing is going to quit FOR you and you have to be prepared for some discomfort...some difficulty dealing with mood swings, stupid people (just kidding), and day to day events.  Think about what you will do INSTEAD of smoking when you crave a cigarette and then DO it.  Keep in mind that cigarettes really do not do anything FOR you, they do not relieve stress or pain, they do not take away anger (that was MY biggest trigger), the addiction will try to keep you in place...it will tell you that it relieves everything.  Smoking does nothing FOR you, just TO you.  No crave ever killed anyone and no one can say the same thing about smoking.  It is just not worth taking chances with your life.

Ellen

elvan

fedupwithunfit  Oh, I prefer "Smart" turkey to cold turkey, it just doesn't SOUND so scary.  You can do this, whatever method you choose.

Smart Turkey, I like that! Thanks!

0 Kudos

I look at it like this: do you want to postpone Nicotine Freedom while you get the intertwined nature of addiction under control or do you just want to purge yourself of the Nicotine immediately? What I do know is that the success rate for /blogs/SkyGirl-blog/2016/11/23/a-smart-turkey?sr=search&searchId=2838d739-e575-45b2-927a-057c6030226...‌ is higher after one Year - keeping in mind that there are people who succeed with patches and those who succeed with no NRT. These folks have one thing in common - they know that no substance does the work of Recovery for you! That's 100% about maintaining willingness to live differently, focus, and determination. How we launched our Quit Journey soon becomes irrelevant. 

The best tool in your quit smoking tool box is right between your ears!

Thanks for the link to Smart Turkey by SkyGirl‌. That was a very helpful read!

0 Kudos