cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

kristim

Not for everyone

As with most drugs, Chantix is not right for everyone. There are side effects that can be very serious but...
you can't use that as an excuse not to quit!

If you have decided against trying Chantix, ask yourself this: Are you afraid to take it because you're afraid of the side effects or are you really afraid to quit smoking?

If you're afraid of the side effects, fine. Find another way to quit. If you're honest with yourself and you realize that you're using the side effects as an excuse to continue smoking, that's fine too, just know what you're doing. We all find excuses to continue to smoke. I was there. My husband is there now.

I can tell you that Chantix worked for me. The side effects were easier to deal with than the nicotine cravings for me. I'm SO GLAD that I stopped smoking. It's hard to believe that I'm a non-smoker sometimes but I am and I will stay that way.

Whatever way works for you is the best way to quit!

It's been almost 4 months without a puff!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

That is not the only thing about the cravings. Also their have been reports of suicide in people who had no mental problems, psychotic episodes in people who had never had any. I mean if you check it out you will see that just last week the FAA said that pilots are not allowed to take chantix, and truck drivers the same. This was because people were having hallucinations, seizures and becoming unconsious after taking it. These are some pretty serious things and it is because phizer pushed the drug through so fast because of all the money they were going to make. if you look this up in a search engine you can read all this for yourself. I dont think i would have taken it, if i had known all of these things. I would have tried something else, but i would not take the chance with all these reports.......just a thought....
crystal
0 Kudos
bill-v_

some believe that cravings come back once the Chantix is out of your system (usually 3-5 days)when you quit suddenly. It made sense to me to "wean" off the Chantix when I had two weeks of pills left. I cut all those pills in half, and took 1/2 in morning and 1/2 at night until I had enough half pills for 1 week. Then I took i/2 a day. I had no problems at all, and probably wouldn't have anyway.

Bill V.
0 Kudos
steve6

So, would you take a drug if it caused the following?

* Shortness of breath
* Chronic cough
* Wheezing
* Decreased ability to exercise
* Anxiety
* Unintentional weight loss
* Ankle, feet, and leg swelling
* Fatigue
* Recurrent respiratory infections
* Pulmonary hypertension
* Cor pulmonale (enlargement and strain on the right side of the heart)
* Erythrocytosis (increased red blood cell count)
* Death

Guess what folks, that's the story line for Emphysema. Now those are some side effects to be scared of.