cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Nicotine Patch Users

I was on the 21mg for 4 weeks and it really helped me. I was really afraid to step down but really... I did not have any trouble. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I was only on the 14 mg for less then a week then I just quit using them altogether. I have been totally off any nicotine for 5 months.
Labels (1)
49 Replies
Diane145

Good Morning!

Is it in my mind or am I hungry??  I ate a banana with cool whip ... not bad right?  I've eaten a 2 oz bag of Perkey Jerky (it's great but sodium may be high) and next on the list is Laughing Cow cheese wedges and an Arnold Sandwich Skinnys.  I'm trying to eat the right things to sooth my self-imposed cravings.

I have to say though that I don't find myself craving a cigarette.  They are still on my mind, but not haunting me regularly throughout the day, so that's also progress!!  Yayyy me and Yayyy you if you didn't give in to take a puff.  I'm with NOPE!  I like that!

I truly believe that as long as I can stay away from people who smoke for awhile, I can do this thing and make it my final, successful attempt.

Husband is home and doing well, so that's some relief.  Dogs woke me up at 5am crying (the oldest lab Dukie, whose 9 is a diabetic and was thursty), so I got up, gave Dukie his shot, let all 3 of them outside, checked on the husband, made him a fried egg sandwich for breakfast, gave him water and juice, fed the dogs, made John's lunch and snack for the day, gave him cell phone, put his laptop near him, handed him the remote then got myself ready for work and here I am!

We were lucky in the Baltimore area as we did not get the snow that was predicted. 

I'm tired (LOL), and I have a full day ahead of me.  That is a "Smoke Free" day!!  WaHoo.

Sending good JuJu everyone's way to keep on the no smoking train!  I'm lovin' it!  We have strength in numbers and the right attitudes!!

0 Kudos
dlv

Hello Diana 🙂 Wow, you sure had a busy day.. I went sled riding with my 3 Grandbabies, we had a blast!! I actually wasn't out of breath about I made it back to the top of the hill.. I love that feeling ❤️ I also went to the store today, & it was so amazing that I walked by a few people & they smelled like ashtrays... now I know what I smelled like to people before I choose to be smoke free.. I WILL NEVER TURN BACK!!!! We can & will do this Diane, so happy I have you to talk to 🙂 Wonderful news that your husband is doing well.

Isn't it amazing how much control cigarettes had control of our lives? Some people don't realize just how addicting they are... I still get cravings, but I know that they are the mental part of my quitting now, so I close my eyes, breath in & out 5 times, & the craving is gone lol...

So you was suppose to get the Blizzard??? We only got 6 inches here, I live in Ohio.

FOOD, yes FOOD.. I eat non-stop... but it's better then lighting up!!!!

Hope to hear from you soon.... stay-strong my friend!!!!

Oh, do you have a facebook?

0 Kudos
bernard6

hi my name is bernard and i am 25 days with out smoking  feals so good 

0 Kudos
dlv

I am 1 month & exactly 4 days smoke free.... feels great 🙂 How is everyone else doing on their journey?

0 Kudos
tom119

Well , I am on my second day

so interesting when you take notice of all of the triggers

I was a 15 cig a day smoker, some days I never smoked.

any words of wisdom? 

I feel tired, very tired

thanks

0 Kudos
tom119

Day 5

i now believe that I do not have a nicotine addiction

my coach told me  that she thoguht the majority of my smoking habit was behavior based

well I figured out so much in 5 days

identified so many triggers

feel like I have all of the energy in the world

i am experiencing problems sleeping though

why

Thanks

TheRizLV

I’m on day 5 now.   I had to  take the patch off one hour before I will go to sleep because the dreams were waking me up throughout the night, I’ll put the patch back on in the morning and no worries.  I feel great.  I can take deep breaths and I sleep great now.   

0 Kudos
NewEnglander

Hi!  I'm starting day 20 and I feel AWESOME!!!!   I use the patch too and truly believe I wouldn't be here without it.  Really helps me keep my triggers at bay (most of the time).Have a grand day, all. 

0 Kudos
tiffmann28

I quit smoking and started using the 21+14 mg patches 9 days ago. i am still really craving a cigarette. i have the nasal spray,gum and inhalers. the nasal spray works the best. but what do i do for intense cravings?

0 Kudos
dwwms

I noticed that you just joined this site. First off - Welcome to Become an Ex!

You already have 9 days behind you which is great! The best advice I can give you is to educate yourself what you're up against. There are plenty of resources here - you might want to check out Best of Ex on the front page.

To your question - Intense cravings? Mantras to tell yourself - NOPE (Not one puff ever), SINAO (Smoking is not an option), I don't do that any more just to give you a few.

Try biting on a lemon, chewing gum, sticking your head in the freezer, anything you can think of to distract you for a bit. The craving won't last long - and the more times that you beat it, the weaker they become!

Again - Welcome. You've made a great decision.

Doug

0 Kudos