cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

mavis-winkler

New To This

I saw this site on the Today Show; Recently, I've decided to"quit" on Valentines Day this year. I need to call my dr. today for Chantix.....I've heard only good things about it. I'm terrified to quit, but have made up mind.....I don't want to be "married to my cigs" any longer! We all know cigarette smoking is bad for us, but I "like" it.....but, I don't ever want to face the day I have to tell my kids "I have lung cancer" or any other bad news. I know I can do this, spend that money elsewhere, and be proud. I just need a lot of support which I hope to find here. Thanks all, and have a great day!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
me-mcb

Hi Mavis!
I just quit on the 11th of Feb, with the help of Chantix. Like Margie, this is my second time on it also. The first time went well, except for the nausea, and the weight gain. This time around I will take advantage of all the support that I can get, and I started a new exercise regimen. Good luck---we are here with you!
0 Kudos
scott9

Hi, new to the forum. I took Chantix once before for a month. It worked but I kept thinking I could have one, here and there, and of course was soon full time smoking again. I have been taking it again for 2 weeks and now have stopped. It seems harder this time but I am not sneaking any cigs either. Chantix works better than other methods I have tried, I feel less like I want to scream and throw things : ) but the urge is still there.

My wife quit almost a year ago, so I have no other smoker in the house, she is great to talk to but I thought I would get into an online group as well to get some advice and support. Thanks.
0 Kudos
teresa15

hey Mavis! I am in the same boat you are right now. I began taking Chantix last Saturday and have set my start date to a smoke free life for this Saturday. I am really afraid to try to quit smoking. I don't want to be depressed or irritable. My kids deserve having me around long enough to see my grand kids. I know how your feeling right now believe me. I was so afraid when I went to the Drs. last week after having an abnormal chest x ray that he was going to tell me I had cancer, I cried the night before thinking this can't be! When I got the results it showed there was scarring due to smoking and the Dr. said I had to quit. I'm afraid to try to quit. What if I fail, I will disappoint myself and my family and friends.But what if don't. I Don't want to wait until I have a serious disease before I finally get it. I know it will be hard, But I have to do it! Its funny that my husband quit three years ago when he watched his father die from smoking and now I can't even imagine seeing him with a smoke in his hand. That could be me one day, I should have done it then.
0 Kudos