cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

AaronL1994

Need help with nicotine patches

Hey everyone!

My name is Aaron. I’m 28 years old and have been vaping for 6 years now. Started with juuls and went to disposables. The disposables I use are 1,000-5,000 puffs and last me 3-4 days tops. I recently quit vaping and started using nicotine patches. I started with step 2 since I figured I’m going through vapes pretty frequently. The step 2 is 14mg and when I take it the nicotine high at the beginning feels way worse than when I vape. Idk if I should’ve started with the step 3 7mg patches since the boxes only give you information based off cigarette usage. Idk if the lightheaded feeling and nausea is common with these patches or if it’s because I chose too high of a dosage.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Barbscloud

@AaronL1994 Welcome to the Ex.   I've asked for information from the Ex about what amounts of NRT to use when quitting vaping.  This is the information I received.  Hope it helps

"Here are some preliminary examples*. I'm waiting for an update with some revised formatting. 

For chewing tobacco
:

1/3 of a can of chew a day (or 2.5 tins per week) is equal to 1 pack of cigarettes or 21 mg patch.
If you chew more than 1/3 a can a day you might need to add on a 7 or 14mg patch daily to the 21mg patch to get the same nicotine level.  Then step down every two weeks. Going from 21mg to 7mg to 0 should take 6 weeks. If you're using more then it will take longer. 

For E-cigarettes/Vaping/Cigars/Pipe:

Begin with 2 mg gum or lozenge or inhaler if an occasional user and use as needed to overcome cravings while paying attention to daily maximums.

For daily users start with a 14mg patch and chew gum, suck on lozenge or puff inhaler as needed. Ensure you do not use more than the  hourly or daily directed amount. Step down as directed by the manufacturer.

*Note: These are just examples. Please connect with a physician and the manufacturer of the NRT to ensure you're using the project correctly for your specific case."

Mark, EX Community Manager
0 Kudos