cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jan9

Just started on Chantix

Tomorrow will be day 3 for me on Chantix. I had planned my quit date for Nov 1st but after reading and going through the program it says you should try to quit around day 8 on the drug. My husband quit smoking using the Chantix almost a year and a half ago. He never read any of the directions or joined the online program they have. He told me to just let the drug do it's thing and my desires to smoke will get less and less and it will happen that when I do smoke they will taste terrible and I will wonder why I even bothered to smoke it. He said that's when he knew it was time for him. I'm usally a person that likes to follow directions and make a plan to follow. Any suggestions?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
donna22

Hi Jan, I used Chantix and I did quit on the 8th day, my Dr. had said that sometimes it takes a little longer but I just decided that was going to be it...I've read where some people are still smoking weeks or months while taking Chantix..I think you should follow the directions, and also go to their website and read....I think Chantix is good and I would probably still be smoking had I not taken it, it's not a miracle drug..you still have to be strong and fight the cravings...at least in my experience..good luck and please let me know if I can help with anything...
0 Kudos
tigs

Hi Jan,
I am using Chantix as well to quit. I have talked to a lot of people that have used Chantix. Some say they never wanted another cig after day 8. No craves at all, just thoughts. Some have said they had "little craves". Some are still smoking after months on Chantix waiting for the time when they "just stop wanting them". I am one of the people that didn't just stop having craves. They are waaaay more managable, not all-consuming, but they are there, and I just work my way through them.

I also, find a plan to follow very helpful. If you go to the main website here becomeanex.org, and sign in, they have a lot of info and can help you create a plan for yourself. You can use the first week to set that plan up, look at your smoking patterns, etc. The online plan from Chantix has helped somewhat for me, but not as much as this support site. For me, every topic they cover is one day *after* I have started going through what they are talking about lol. Not as helpful as I would like.
Feel free to post questions here, or in your blog, if you need more info. Best wishes for your smoke free life!
0 Kudos
sally3

Hi Jan,

I'm also on Chantix and quit on my 8th day of taking it (1 week after being on the program). I am on 10th day without smoking and feel great! Urges have not been that bad, but you still need to have the will power. I agree with Donna about signing up on their website. I check into it every morning. It is very helpful. I don't think I could have quit without it. Good luck and I'm here for you!
0 Kudos
jan9

Thanks for all your replys. Sounds like the drug differs from person to person. I am working on my trigger list the next few days. I still plan on my quit date for Nov. 1st.( Superbowl Sunday GO Steelers GO)
My insurance doesn't pay for the Chantix so I had to pay the full price. I figured from what I'm hearing from most people the drug needs to get into a persons system a few weeks. I'm not expecting a miricle pill , but I did quit cold turkey one time and OMG the withdrawls in the first week was worst then having the horrible flu and I'm surprized my family lived through it. I didn't have much success that way and my hats off to the people who did. I'm just hoping it takes some of the edge off. I also have plans to hangout with non-smokers in the first few days and keep myself extremely busy.
Thanks a bunch for being here 🙂
0 Kudos
becky11

Hi! Just wanted to say "Hi!" My hubby quit on Chantix too, and now it's my turn. I don't really have any advice as my quit date is tomorrow. I do know that I didn't quit on Day 8. I've pushed it a couple of days because that's what felt right to me. Maybe in the end it's not going to make a difference, but it's been nice to have some sort of control over my addiction. Anyways, just wanted to say "Good Luck!"

Take care!
0 Kudos
jan9

Sorry I meant Feb 1st for my quit date not Nov. 1st. I might need someone to remind me on Jan 31st lol.
0 Kudos
sally3

My insurance doesn't cover it either and I also have to pay full price. Between my husband and I we were spending close to $500 a month on ciggs. You don't realize how much you spend until you add it up.He quit without medicine. I figure the first several months even with paying the full price I will break even or save alittle so I'm not out anything but a gain as I am in more control and going for a better health. I keep saying this over and over and keep thinking of all the money we have wasted over the years & years.
0 Kudos
barberella

Hello Jan,
I've just started Chantix and planned my quit date on the 8th day (January 31st). I feel a little anxious but we can make it. We have a great support here.
0 Kudos
karenjones

Hi, Here in Canada it is called Champix and in Nova Scotia where I am, the governemtn will cover the cost of prescriptions only if you attend addiction services programming. Which I am doing. and I had a helll of a time with it. After talking to 2 pharmacists I am taking 1/2 tablet , one in morning and one at night , drinking lots and lots and lots of water. And after 3 attempts, one lasting 17 days, one lasting 7 days and one lasting 4 days, I am on day 5 of what I hope is my final quit. I take it day by day, but I want to reduce the nicotine receptors too, so that is why my Champix level is so low and on one pill twice a day I was having Friday the 13th nightmares. Now I just have the typical odd dream. I have been taking Champix since December 2017.  Persistance, persistance.

0 Kudos