cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

liz19

I'd like to know everyone's average....

Hi all -

I'm curious to know about those who have sucessfully quit using Chantix - and stopped taking it before the 3 months is up. I'm on Chantix now, I've been taking it since May 1st and have been smoke free since May 5th. Up until this week I have felt pretty good. However, this week, I am noticing a change. I'm down in the dumps, and depressed alot - something I rarely have issues with. My stomach is bloated and puffy and that makes my depression worse because I can't fit into many of my clothes. So, I'm considering cutting back my dosage or stopping altogether. BUT...I don't want to run the risk of starting smoking again. Chantix helps with the urges - which are getting less and less. I NEVER want to smoke again. This is something that helped me thru the first 2 weeks. But I'm afraid to get off the meds. Soooo, any opinions would be appreciated!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
sandi6

I have been smoke free 99 days today! CHANTIX was my savior - and yes, I had some of these issues. It is all on my page comment section. But please don't give up. Your system is trying to heal itself and rest is the best way for it to do that. Like anything else, you need to give it a chance.
0 Kudos
Jaded

I have been smoke free for one month and 1 day, I also took Chantix but stopped using it about a week ago, during that last week I only took it once a day. It may be in your best interest to talk to your doctor about any symptoms you are having.

I knew when I first started taking Chantix that it wasn't something I wanted to take for 3 months, I knew if I could get past one month smoke free I'd be ok
0 Kudos
stan2

I don't when you posted this, but you first need to stop the medication and contact your doctor immediately. What you are describing are serious side effects of the medication. Another is suicide based on the depression. Get help now, if you haven't already!
0 Kudos