cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

rachel17

I JUST WENT FOR IT!

I quit on Sept.6th at 10:30 pm. I just did it this time without any nic replacement or anything. I couldn't rationalize putting more drugs into my body to stop the smoking. Maybe that's silly but I just wanted off the cigs period. It has been rough but I think it will be worth it for me. I want to start a healthier life no drugs, eat better, and exercise. You know everything. By drugs I don't mean illegal ones I mean medications I believe it's all really bad for you. I couldn't think like that and keep doing the one thing that I know would kill me one day. I choose life for me and my kids. Anyone else out there going cold turkey for the same reasons?

Labels (1)
25 Replies
Ready2021

Hi I quit years ago at least I thought I did for 2 years and it was cold turkey I figure if Im gonna do it again it gotta be cold turkey straight forward to the punch for some reason this time I can say I'm done for good don't get me wrong Im struggling but its worth it and I discovered this site when people on here have been wonderful

0 Kudos
Sandi4

WOW...found a post I wrote here almost 10 years ago.  My daughter was 5 at the time.  I lost my quit after 6 months but I'm here again at 39 Days. My prayer is that this is my last quit.  Cold turkey again. 

dallison1189

Congratulations! I’m on day 3 and having a tough time here...on top of it, got a strain of the stomach flu so naturally at the end of day 1, I’m sick. Blood sugar usually drops anyway but now with quitting, it dropped last night pretty bad and I couldn’t tell cause I thought it was just withdrawal    Anyway, having the worst symptoms and needing some advice on how you got through those first few days?

danielle

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Smoking wasn't an option for me, so I distracted myself one way or another day by day smoking stopped being the focal point. Hope you feel better soon and Welcome to Ex!

0 Kudos
Sandi4

dallison1189‌ - Congrats on 3 DOF!  So sorry you're not feeling well.  Hoping you're back to 100% quickly.

As maryfreecig‌ mentioned below, I used distractions.  I read the blogs on this site, exercised (I know that may not be an option while you're ill), drank A LOT of water, deep breathing (I even pretended I was holding  a cigarette during the breathing in the beginning...I've since stopped doing that).  I also cleaned a closet and my garage...things I'd been meaning to do but put off. 

I also posted here (as you did) when I needed support.  Anything to get me past the craves. 

Craves will come.  Be prepared.  Decide what you're going to do to get past them.  Commit to your quit!  We'll be here rooting for you!

dallison1189

Thank you all so so much! I will absolutely take those suggestions and continue to post here. I’m so so happy that this site is here.