cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

julie36

How long to take Chantix

I am on my second script for Chantix, coming onto two months. How long did those of you who were successful take Chantix. I was a heavy smoker, and still have cravings. Will I always have cravings? Should I stay on Chantix?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
soccer-momx1

i spoke to the people @ chantix they say the min is 12 wks but the results they have are 6mths with only a max 20% relapse. they stated the 12 wks does have a relapse of max 40%.
my employer/corporation is having a $0 ded for chantix for 12 wks. I have already decided that i will continue for the 6 mths, also spoke to my MD he agreed to the 6 mths as long as i have blood work for liver function every other month while taking chantix.
i had my 1st blood work done 2 wks before i started and this past week i had the 2nd blood work done.
so far everything is good.
0 Kudos
irishmike

Soccermom, why the blood work? Does Chantix affect liver function? Now I am starting to think that maybe I should continue as cravings are returning. I have had a lot of stomach upset with this drug. I stopped taking it about a week ago and have experienced depression. I wonder if there is an antidepressant aspect to Chantix.
0 Kudos
soccer-momx1

the info in the chantix packs / and when calling there is a small possiblity of liver damage.
My MD states that the chances are very small but he feels the best action to take is to have the blood work for liver function done routinly while taking the meds.

i am not sure of this being an antidepressant, i know zyban that used to be prescribed for stop smoking was an antidepressant.
i have had nausea while taking chantix since day one. the company states this is an adverse reaction that is fairly common. my nausea has been mild to severe . at least it doesn't last 24/7
0 Kudos
janie5

Hi Julie......you will ALWAYS have cravings but they will not be as strong so you can control them. I took CHANTIX for 30 days...quitting on DAY 7 and I am 52 days SMOKE FREE. Everyone says it gets easier each day and that is the TRUTH.

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
birdygal

I took the drug for the prescribed time 3 months. I was a 37 yr 2 pack a day smoker. I had a lot of stress when I got off the drug I lost my Mom the last week I was on the prescription. I managed as I found the toughest part of quitting was the nicotine addiction for me. Having something to do with your hands was not too hard. I chewed toothpicks and ate as a replacement. Remember if you can quit smoking you can loose weight later.
0 Kudos
barbara42

HI, I took the starter pack and did not get the other month refill. I was having some problems with it but it did just what it was supposed to do, it made me not want to smoke as much. Any way I quite taking CHANTIX after the starter pack and I am still not smoking. I still have some craves but they are not as strong, this is my third week of being smoke free
0 Kudos
barb12

what blood work? i think im missing something important. please mail me back
0 Kudos
barb12

i need help!!!! ive been on chantix (smoke free) since april 19th and this week i smoked. not back to usual habbit but latley my cravings are TERRIBLE!!!!!!! i feel like i cant do anything without smoking. i feel like there is no fun. my depression (which ive already been dealing with before quitting) is gettin a little worse. ive gained weight and i just am feeling guilty and need some support. my best friend smokes, and when im with her she doesnt smoke but she doesnt encourage me not to smoke when i want one. it kinda makes me angry. latley im finding every excuse to buy a pack of cigs. its funny because i have this picture of myself in my head of "who" or "what" i want to be like and its like im purposely stopping myself from doing that. what do i do? please get back to me.
0 Kudos