cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jewels4

Horrible side effects!

Hello everyone! I wanted to let everyone know that I took chantix for 2 months and had horrible side effects! I started going through fits of rage and anger that is not part of my personality at all. At first I thought it was just because I had quit smoking and tried to tough it out and then I went into a dark depression and became very suicidal. I am normally a very happy mother of two and this was a very scary experience that I hope to never encounter again. Chantix definitely works when it comes to quiting but the emotional effects were not worth it by a long shot. If anyone is experiencing anger, depression or especially suicidal thoughts, please stop taking it immediatly!
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
gdaddy2

After 40+ years I've been smoke free for 6 months. Chantix helped but will power is 99% of the ingredient for success. Not all meds work for all people and reactions are different in most people. Vivid and frequent dreams were my reaction but that was tolerable. Most of the reactions I've read about whether taking Chantix, other meds or not taking any meds could occur simply from nicotine withdrawal. Your body is naturally going to react when that crap starts to leave your system. Good luck and don't ever give up or take that next puff.
0 Kudos
carol24

Yeah, Shelley Jo, Bill V. sounds a little holier than thou, or maybe he was a drill sargeant in his career. Now bored and on this sight hours daily, I wasn't up to date on your saga, I don't sign in here every day...
I have also smoked for 35 yrs, started on the Chantix, Jan 22nd this yr, and quit smoking after 6 days, continued with the Chantix and the aggressive behavior, anxiety/panic attacks, foggy headedness etc started. My cast iron stomach was also torn up and I've run thru a multitude of gallbladder/pancreatic function tests, (results tomorrow), no suicide thoughts though. With the stomach pain, my DR cut my dosage in half, and I didn't feel it was strong enough, I felt pleasure walking by smokers at store entrances, etc, smelling their 2nd hand smoke..So I have had a smoke in the am, and 1 in the evening, the rest of the day the Chantix takes care of it all. I'm sure Bill V. has some thoughts on that, but we all have to quit our own way, and I will somehow, it's just not going to be after 62 days or whatever, it may take a year, and I can handle that. I'd like to be more optimistic, and for the short term we will be better for quitting, but there are no guarantees in 20 yrs we may develop a smoking related disease(Peter Jennings)....I guess this site is to release your frustrations and anger too, so Bill V. has a right,..no judgements please, just thoughts shared....
0 Kudos
bill-v_

No, not holier than thou...never that. But also very tired of hearing how Chantix is guilty of everything. Do more research....I did for two months before I decided to start. The other thing is I just watched my Mother die a horrible death from COPD last July. Anyone who needs to be coddled while quitting should watch while someone they love tries to get that one last breath and fails. There are so many people that have used this drug successfully, yes, I'll stand up for it. I am not different than anyone else here. I was stupid for almost 35 years. I get excited when I hear the pride of someone who has made it a few months...I get upset when I hear someone say the stress in their life causes them to smoke. Yes Carol, I was a Marine Drill Instructor and yes, I do have an opinion about you smoking whether taking Chantix or not and making the claim you're quitting. Quit means zero, but you already know that. I am more apt for tough love, but please understand there are way too many enabling types on these forums...they mean well, but are wrong to condone. I care about everyone here who fights the fight, I've developed relationships on several sites...I've even given my phone number to those who need to talk through the tough times. There are guarantees of what will happen if you keep smoking. But up to you to rationalize I suppose. I do wish you well.

Bill V.
0 Kudos
12Finally34

My quit day was 7/21, a few days before my official quit day 7/25.  I used Chantix and Wellbrutin for 3 weeks.  I was under my doctor's care while using it.  I quit Chantix because I felt I received more support from the reeducation of my thoughts and applying various strategies.  The Wellbrutin helped with irritation and anger.  

I did have very color dreams.  I notice the dreams heighten based on my feelings and experience for the day (frustration, disappointment, joy and/or sadness).  

My doctor wrote a prescription just incase the reading the materials/suggetions, making nicotine meetings and connecting with others does not work.  

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

I know it has different effects on different people.  For some it works great, 

and then others it does like it did you!  Sad too, because it works so well 

for those who don't experience the side effects. 

It worked for me once, I quit for 9 months, but I eventually had started back 

up smoking.  When I tried it again later down the road, it had bad effects on 

me too.  Kinda crazy.

I am doing the Wellbutrin this time, and it is working great.  It makes cigs taste 

horrible, even after you brush your teeth and use mouthwash, you want to 

go brush and rinse again right away.  

I pretty much did cold turkey, no nicotine replacement, but not sure I would have 

made it work without the Wellbutrin.

Something to think about!

Sandy

0 Kudos